Home » Forum » Feedback and Suggestions »
World Clock in between profile and flags?

World Clock in between profile and flags?

posted on #1
Girard
I think I asked before about having a world clock on the top banner.

I don't remember what the response was exactly so let me say this:

Yes I could go get a widget, or buy a clock for my house, but would it be difficult to have a clock on Wikiloops up on top somewhere so that we can always see what time it is in the most prominent countries users come from?

Just having the countries we have WIkiloops translated for would make sense. I frequently look up Germany time, France time, Portugal time etc. It has to do with wondering what time of day it is where my friends are, and when they should be waking up, or coming online or whatever.

I am constantly looking up Germany time, UK time etc...I think it would be a handy feature. If it's too much of a pain, i'll just have to use a widget or get a little desk clock which shows multiple times.

If it's a bad idea for some reason I apologize for bringing it up again.

Thanks for all the great changes and hard work Richard.
posted on #2
Dick Supporter
Hey!
Thanks for bringing this up once more... I should definetly try to implement something to lookup world-time conveniently.
I'm not all sure where to locate the feature, somehow I feel it would belong into the "now online" panel.
Maybe a small world map with three colored vertical lines, indicating where it is 8am, 12pm and 8pm would be sufficient to get a quick idea what time it is overseas - any more detailed thing would call for an extra page.
I'll do some visual experiments and we'll see :-)
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
Condenser Clip Microphone for Ovid System
49 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
Girard
Yes, the members online panel would be the best because that's what usually triggers my desire to know what time it is...like when I see someone's username appear as online I often wonder then what time it is there, or if I don't see someone I wonder what time it is so maybe they will return lol
posted on #4
SupJax
realtime clock or 'freezed screenshot'? so it gets updated whenever you reload the page
posted on #5
Dick Supporter
@supjax: the online users panel is refreshing every few minutes, so that would be sufficient to get the idea, i dont suppose the world-time feature has to be precise to the minute, a general idea of the time of day should do Imo
posted on #6
rp3drums Supporter
Digital or analog? Also Dick we had talked about the shoutbox stating "10 minutes ago" as opposed to a time stamp. Would this still help? It would help me ... because I am on the other side of the world....:|

thanks,

Raymond
posted on #7
Dick Supporter
@ray - whatever it will look like, the feature should be helpfull to anyone regardless of location - i couldn't think of a way that would only help p.e. the americans.
Ideally, I'd imagine some kind of display where you can tell what time of day it is at one glance, if we displayed four or five segments like
americas/canada - Europe - Russia/india - australia along with an icon which resembles morning, noon, evening and maybe midnight, I believe that would provide the general idea, wouldn't it?
I'll have to think about the servertime to "how long ago" change you mentioned, this is a bit more complicated tha one may expect, if I need to recalculate all datestamps on shoutbox and comments on a page individually on each pageview, that might easily affect loading speed. I'll see if it can be done in a simple way, I'm not all sure right now.
posted on #8
rp3drums Supporter
Thanks for the reply. It always is more involved than what I could ever imagine. The overall idea of a World clock is really good. It will be an asset to the Loops.
Daddario EXL170
Daddario EXL170
Electric Bass String Set
22,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
I's lot of fun listening to music here and even much more fun adding own music to the wonderful tracks from the community. Therefore I'm supporter!
bleymehl from Germany

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali.