Home » Forum » Recording and mixing »
Free software

Free software

posted on #1
eGiL Supporter
Sometimes there are some real golden nuggets to be picked up for free!

My all time favorite DAW has after Gibson gave it up become free! Cakewalk/Sonar is back as Cakewalk (based on the latest Sonar Platinum version). Actively being developed and supported, full version, no hidden fees or costs! Be sure to check it out!

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Riffstation, excellent for learning a new track/song. Analyzes the chords in a track, displays them as you play along :) Also have function like slow down and speed up, pitch shift, BPM measuring +++ Also free for the time being! Grab it while you can!

https://play.riffstation.com/chords-tabs/free-all-right-now/siMFORx8uO8
+2
posted on #2
wjl Supporter
Free, or TANSTAAFL?

Thanks for the links, eGIL. I had looked at them before, and I'm always a bit unhappy about the term "free" and its usage.

In English, free has two meanings:

1. free as in no cost (or, as open source developers would say, free as in beer), and

2. free as in freedom

There's also that TANSTAAFL I mentioned above, which stands for "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch", a rather pessimistic but often enough realistic point of view onto some of these "free" offers.

Remember, free (as in freedom) wouldn't even ask for your name and/or email address. That kind of free often isn't - you are the product, not the giveaway you receive. Your data is it which they're after...

... so as much as I'd love to have a real-time chord analysis and display (like in Logic) in a real free program, I don't have it (yet). But I won't go for Logic (or anything Apple), and I also won't give away my name and email address for one of these "free" offers.

But this is only me - I can't and won't speak for anybody else, just give some food for thought, or so.

But thanks again, man - and I mean it!

LG,
Wolfgang
+2
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
eGiL Supporter
wjl wrote:
Free, or TANSTAAFL?

Thanks for the links, eGIL. I had looked at them before, and I'm always a bit unhappy about the term "free" and its usage.

In English, free has two meanings:

1. free as in no cost (or, as open source developers would say, free as in beer), and

2. free as in freedom

There's also that TANSTAAFL I mentioned above, which stands for "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch", a rather pessimistic but often enough realistic point of view onto some of these "free" offers.

Remember, free (as in freedom) wouldn't even ask for your name and/or email address. That kind of free often isn't - you are the product, not the giveaway you receive. Your data is it which they're after...

... so as much as I'd love to have a real-time chord analysis and display (like in Logic) in a real free program, I don't have it (yet). But I won't go for Logic (or anything Apple), and I also won't give away my name and email address for one of these "free" offers.

But this is only me - I can't and won't speak for anybody else, just give some food for thought, or so.

But thanks again, man - and I mean it!

LG,
Wolfgang

I am just like you when it comes to the term free! :D So, because of that i would never put free in the title of this post, unless it was actually free! ;)

However, you being a linux man, this doesn't help you out that much :(

But i really want people to be able to benefit from this....since i see a lot of people using Audacity as their recording software here on Wikiloops! :O When a full premium version of (the best DAW i know) is free of charge i feel it's my duty to at least inform about it :)
+2
posted on #4
wjl Supporter
eGiL wrote:When a full premium version of (the best DAW i know) is free of charge i feel it's my duty to at least inform about it :)

You are right of course, eGIL! Ok, there's Ardour, but the compiled .exe version isn't free of cost - and as I read, building it on Windows would be anything but trivial. I never tried it, or else there wouldn't be much time to make music anymore ;)

Maybe one more reason to download something like AVLinux, KXStudio, or Ubuntu Studio onto a bootable USB stick to just try it out? These all come with Ardour and lots of other free stuff.

But I also understand those who want to stay with Windows. As I mentioned above, life's too short... ;) (but that said, my daughter (13) runs her mum's old notebook with Ubuntu Studio - and she loves its boot message (Linux for creative people)) :D

Greetings from sunny Germany,
Wolfgang
+2
posted on #5
BuzzBomber
In this case these two items are literally free with no strings attached , and I have personally downloaded them both.
Thanx e-Gil!
+4
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
I know it's not much but my support is given, better days will come ... Thanks for creating this great Wikiloops community ...
Tutama from Portugal

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali.