Been A Bit Busy

posted on #1
mpointon Supporter
Hi everyone, not been around much as I've been very busy with work and with learning a two hour Pink Floyd set by the 6th December. Learning all 23 minutes of the Pompeii version of Echoes has been entertaining to say the least! I've got to work with synchronised videos and incidental backings) live. Although I'm very used to a click, I've never used them live before, so that'll be fun. This is the most work I've ever had to put into a band!

Nevertheless, as always, I don't learn the tracks exactly as per the original. I learn the structures and beats but not the fills, etc.. I just try and get into the 'mindset' of the track and go from there! Keeps me fresh too!

I've had to buy a couple of toys in order to be ready for the gig, not that I really needed the excuse. The main thing was getting a trigger pad - in this case, the Alesis SamplePad Pro - to do all the non-drum kit sounds. I've also got hold of a Tascam Model 24 which stands in for my recording interface as it gives me 22-in, 24-out recording channels through an analogue mixer! Fantastic piece of kit!

Anyway, here's me testing out the kit on Pink Floyd's track Time. Loving those Rototom samples!

I'll be recording on here very soon I hope!

[youtube]Fpqc5vjvx1Q[/youtube]
+10
posted on #2
TeeGee Supporter
very cool Martin :W sounded to my untrained ear as if you were getting more relaxed as the song went on, wow must be difficult to play such iconic songs but it sounds as if you guys got it down!!
+1
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
Shi Supporter
sounds cool to me Martin :)
posted on #4
LittleWing Supporter
A flaming gong...you need the flaming gong.....[img]https://i.gifer.com/6dLF.gif[/img]
+1
posted on #5
LittleWing Supporter
Martin -Is it Brit Floyd you are playing with?
+1
posted on #6
mpointon Supporter
No. This is a new Floyd tribute called Eclipse. The main singer is ex-other Floyd bands and our tech guy is ex-Floyd themselves. We have access to a lot of the authentic sounds!

Our main differentiator is we’re not going to be just another Pulse performer. We’re doing Floyd from across the ages. Longer term, we’ll be doing sets and albums based on venue request.

Our inaugural gig will include Astronomy Domine, Let There Be More Light, Fearless as well as their way more famous stadium stuff.

The gong is on the to-do.
+2
posted on #7
LittleWing Supporter
Very cool! Wish you lots of success! I would absolutely love to hear " Fearless".
posted on #8
FrankieJ Supporter
Fantastic Martin!
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Cabinet for Electric Guitar
169 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
mpointon Supporter
LittleWing wrote:
Very cool! Wish you lots of success! I would absolutely love to hear " Fearless".

Fabulous song and oddly catchy. We even have the original crowd sample for it!
+1
posted on #10
LittleWing Supporter
I believe I found your website:
https://eclipsetribute.co.uk/band/
+1
posted on #11
TeeGee Supporter
Damn I would definitely come to your gig if you ever come near me in Germany!!
posted on #12
Ernie440 Supporter
Super cool project Martin .. congrats!! :W
Daddario EXL170
Daddario EXL170
Electric Bass String Set
22,90 €
posted on #13
mpointon Supporter
LittleWing wrote:
I believe I found your website:
https://eclipsetribute.co.uk/band/

Yep. That's us. Still early days but I'm really looking forward to it.
posted on #14
mpointon Supporter
TeeGee wrote:
very cool Martin :W sounded to my untrained ear as if you were getting more relaxed as the song went on, wow must be difficult to play such iconic songs but it sounds as if you guys got it down!!

Nick Mason, despite the apparent simplicity of what he plays, chops and changes feel throughout a lot of their songs. With Time, you've got a straight feel which then swings for the choruses. But then he'll chuck in a straight fill over the swing or, for the hell of it, sometimes do straight on the kick. It's as distinctive as it is often random.
+1
posted on #15
Offfocus Supporter
Fantastic!!!
posted on #16
mpointon Supporter
Thanks everyone. Might do another version of the video today as my green light-up sticks should turn up! :)
+4
posted on #17
Wade Supporter
So good that you've got such a demanding project that's suited your perfectionist tendencies. Give them a great show!
+2
posted on #18
gwailoah Supporter
Sounds great Martin, such a cool project. All best wishes for success to Eclipse! :W:D
Daddario EXL170
Daddario EXL170
Electric Bass String Set
22,90 €
posted on #19
pconey
Martin - congrats on the project. Wonderful drum sound and playing, and I hope its a big success!

Im a big fan of the Floyd, and a fan of Nick Mason - a very good drummer that as you say appears simple, but he really isnt.

If anyone is interested I have the complete DSOM multitracks....

All the best with the project!
posted on #20
AnneCozean Supporter
it's a pleasure to watch you at work, Martin. bang up job!
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Wikiloops is a must for ageing musicians like myself ! It has given me something to look forward to every day ! I have made may new great friends !
onewholeft

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali.