Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
Is rock only an anglo-saxon affair?

Is rock only an anglo-saxon affair?

posted on #1
Carlomac Supporter
I'm convinced that every musical genre is the son of a certain culture and that the musicality of a language is also important. And I have always considered the Italian rock as "cheap". But in my opinion these guys have something to say, and I'm proud that they have won the Eurovision song contest. What do you think about it? Is rock only an anglo-saxon affair? :)
[youtube]RVH5dn1cxAQ[/youtube]
+1
posted on #2
Al-Fadista Supporter
I listen to many sorts of rock since the age of 12, and honestly I don't like the song. I don't know the band, maybe they have better tunes to offer.

To me Italians were pretty good at progressive rock in the 70s, and GOBLIN is one of my favourite of the genre. Here are two great tunes by them :

[youtube]VZituFZR1Zw[/youtube]

[youtube]HAlpYgtQCLo[/youtube]

To me rock is mainly anglo-saxon but in America, many Italian-american are well known 'rockers'! Is it me or many guitar virtuosos or 'shredders' have italian roots? Such as Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Al di Meola, John Petrucci, Al Pitrelli, Michael Angelo Batio etc...

You can add Tony Iommi, who pretty much 'invented' heavy riffing and Ronnie James Dio, one of the best hard/heavy singer of all time. In a sense, heavy music is italian too :D
+1
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
Safe2breat
Well s. America (esp. Brazil) has been produced some pretty amazing harder rock and metal... That's for sure. But, Thinking about it - culturally/historically the music from that area has always had a percussion drive so moving toward that makes sense I suppose- regardless - they have have some pretty rad bands and though I'd not call it progressive rock by genre, they are/were certainly progressive in their own right.
posted on #5
Carlomac Supporter
Al-Fadista wrote:
I listen to many sorts of rock since the age of 12, and honestly I don't like the song. I don't know the band, maybe they have better tunes to offer.

To me Italians were pretty good at progressive rock in the 70s, and GOBLIN is one of my favourite of the genre. Here are two great tunes by them :

To me rock is mainly anglo-saxon but in America, many Italian-american are well known 'rockers'! Is it me or many guitar virtuosos or 'shredders' have italian roots? Such as Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Al di Meola, John Petrucci, Al Pitrelli, Michael Angelo Batio etc...

You can add Tony Iommi, who pretty much 'invented' heavy riffing and Ronnie James Dio, one of the best hard/heavy singer of all time. In a sense, heavy music is italian too :D

By coincidence I've just uploaded a Goblin's tribute on wikiloops :)

Yes, I really like them but less when they sing in italian. In any case, in the 70' there were some good italian bands (Pfm, Area and so on). Today I also like Lacuna Coil (but they sing in english)[youtube]4wfRHPsRGkk[/youtube]

I agree about italian-american artists (I would add Frank Zappa and Steve Tyler, who's real name is Steven Victor Tallarico) but in that case the fusion beetwin the two cultures is decisive :)
+2
posted on #6
Carlomac Supporter
Safe2breat wrote:
Well s. America (esp. Brazil) has been produced some pretty amazing harder rock and metal... That's for sure. But, Thinking about it - culturally/historically the music from that area has always had a percussion drive so moving toward that makes sense I suppose- regardless - they have have some pretty rad bands and though I'd not call it progressive rock by genre, they are/were certainly progressive in their own right.

Yes, I friend of mine is from Belo Horizonte and He always talks about Sepultura :)
But they sing in english and it makes a difference in my opinion :)
posted on #7
Al-Fadista Supporter
Carlomac wrote:

Yes, I really like them but less when they sing in italian. In any case, in the 70' there were some good italian bands (Pfm, Area and so on). Today I also like Lacuna Coil (but they sing in english)[youtube]4wfRHPsRGkk[/youtube]

I agree about italian-american artists (I would add Frank Zappa and Steve Tyler, who's real name is Steven Victor Tallarico) but in that case the fusion beetwin the two cultures is decisive :)

I'll listen to your tribute, I'm intrigued!
Lacuna Coil, not for me. Not bad but it's really not grabbing me.
Didn't know about Steven Tyler. I know Joe Perry, Aerosmith guitarist, has italian & portuguese roots.
posted on #8
TeeGee Supporter
There are some hard rocking Germans out there....
+3
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
Condenser Clip Microphone for Ovid System
49 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
will_C
TeeGee wrote:

I think, Hard Rock is pandemic:[youtube]i4FqGPRQWFM[/youtube]
+2
posted on #10
Carlomac Supporter
will_C wrote:
TeeGee wrote:

I think, Hard Rock is pandemic:[youtube]i4FqGPRQWFM[/youtube]

Thanks for your contribution will, this is a good example of what I mean: rock could be a universal language but you have to find the right "key", that fit with your culture. Without just imitating the anglo-saxon model :)
posted on #11
Carlomac Supporter
TeeGee wrote:

Scorpions are a good example (even if they sing in english) :)
They are not exactly "rock", but also Kraftwerk are to mention, I think.
To me the most important thing is to find the right way to adapt a musical genre to your own culture and language. I've composed some rock song in italian and I've realised that is much more difficult than in english :)
posted on #12
TeeGee Supporter
I guess on the German side you will have to mention Ramstein. Not my preferred music but they can't be ignored. I have to add that when it comes to "Krautrock" ;) as a Kid I heard a lot of these bands, some of which are internationally known

Scorpions, Amon Düül 2 , Birth Control, Can, Kaftwerk, Tangerine Dream

[youtube]ZkW-K5RQdzo[/youtube]
+1
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Electric Guitar
2.249 €
posted on #13
Carlomac Supporter
TeeGee wrote:
I guess on the German side you will have to mention Ramstein. Not my preferred music but they can't be ignored. I have to add that when it comes to "Krautrock" ;) as a Kid I heard a lot of these bands, some of which are internationally known

[youtube]ZkW-K5RQdzo[/youtube]

Yes, you're right I forgot to mention Ramstein. Honestly didn't know that Tangerine Dream were from Germany
posted on #14
Carlomac Supporter
Carlomac wrote:
Al-Fadista wrote:

Ps: I forgot to mention the great Tom Morello
posted on #15
will_C
[quote]TeeGee wrote:

Frankly speaking: Where Ramstein would be without "Einstürzende Neubauten"?
Just an example:
[youtube]KrfOahWNT_A[/youtube]
posted on #16
Zoot
Pretty sure the Angles and Saxons are Germanic people and what about all the great Celtic rock bands none of whom would describe themselves as Anglo Saxon! Just off the top of my head:

Manic St Preachers Stereophonics the Alarm , super Furry Animals, U2, Thin Lizzy, The Cranberries Boomtown rats The Undertones,Snow patrol,Biffy Clyro, Mogwai, Nazareth, Primal Scream, simple minds, Franz ferdinand etc etc etc
Please dont tell any of them they are Anglo Saxons!
posted on #17
Carlomac Supporter
Zoot wrote:
Pretty sure the Angles and Saxons are Germanic people and what about all the great Celtic rock bands none of whom would describe themselves as Anglo Saxon! Just off the top of my head:

Manic St Preachers Stereophonics the Alarm , super Furry Animals, U2, Thin Lizzy, The Cranberries Boomtown rats The Undertones,Snow patrol,Biffy Clyro, Mogwai, Nazareth, Primal Scream, simple minds, Franz ferdinand etc etc etc
Please dont tell any of them they are Anglo Saxons!

Sorry Zoot, but in my opinion they are. Even if they have got their own culture (and you can surely feel it in many of the bands you quoted), Ireland (and of course all UK) is officially an anglo saxon Country and I think that also in music there are many common traits (starting from english language, that is not secondary at all). But let's see what our irish friends on the Loops say... :)

Ps: I would add Gary Moore (also as a soloist, not only in Thin Lizzy exeperience), one of my favourite guitarists :)
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Many thanks for creating this amazing site,its every jammers dream,so many great musicians to record with. Thanks again.
petebass from England

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali.