Delay

posted on #1
Davnel99
I am relatively new to this recording concept, but most of it is straight forward I think The problem I continue to battle is this . I am using a Yamaha MG10/2 mixer - with no delay settings, an Audiobox USB box with no delay settings, yet, my latest track, as with most of them is I laid down a keyboard track, and am trying to lay a vocal over the top, but am continuing to get delay feedback that throws the timing out of whack. This is driving me nuts. oh and also I use Audacity for recording with no delay settings being used. What is the deal? any ideas please?
posted on #2
mpointon Supporter
Ahh, didn't realise you'd started a thread in the forum. Not enough people use or check the forums!

As we discussed on the Shoutbox, you need to look at your sound card drivers. The delay you're experiencing is 'latency' and is the bane of many an electronic musician, especially those on Windows. Latency is the delay between the audio coming in and your computer processing it and outputting it. It often causes the software to lag with it making it seem unresponsive. Built-in Windows drivers are, basically, not good enough for this kind of application as they cause a delay too much for those required by musicians.

You need to install the drivers for your Audiobox sound interface and make sure Audacity is making use of them for both input and output. As a consequence, you need to monitor thorough the outputs of your Audiobox device, not the built-in output of your computer. The built-in line out of your PC will introduce massively unacceptable delays, especially when you're trying to listen to existing playback whilst recording at the same time.

Hopefully this will solve your problems. It's hell, I know.
Daddario EXL170
Daddario EXL170
Electric Bass String Set
22,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
jstef
You may also want to run the [url=http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/latency_test.html] Latency Test [/url] on Audacity and get rid of its own latency when recording :)
posted on #4
Rickplayer
Glad you all posted this helps answer a lot questions thanks
posted on #5
Tofzegrit Supporter
Is "ASIO4ALL" could be considered as an "universal" driver freeware ?

I know it was my rescue to connect a M-Audio usb soundcard with old Windows XP version. The M-audio had not specific driver on this version (plug&play system)
posted on #6
OliVBee Supporter
this is more a fallback in case a specific interface doesnt have a driver available
posted on #7
Davnel99
It was in fact a letency problem because I was not using the Audiobox drivers, but the Microsoft drivers that were messing me up. Thanks for the help!!
posted on #8
HeldoOrn
How's that delay now? With asio I can get my latency to 5ms
Daddario EXL170
Daddario EXL170
Electric Bass String Set
22,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
nilton
Tofzegrit wrote:
Is could be considered as an "universal" driver freeware ?

I know it was my rescue to connect a M-Audio usb soundcard with old Windows XP version. The M-audio had not specific driver on this version (plug&play system)

"ASIO4ALL" is a wrapper that makes a sound driver look as an ASIO driver in case no one is available from the manufacturer. To my knowing it does not report latency and should be avoided unless absolutely necessary
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
I love the sense of community, the pro attitude, and the spawning of ideas, that WORLDWIDE music collaboration brings. Help Wikiloops be here forever.
MasterK from United States

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali.