Home » Forum » Recording and mixing »
Natural Sounding Acoustic Guitar Recording

Natural Sounding Acoustic Guitar Recording

posted on #21
GemmyF
I like the two mic solution one on the body and one at the neck above the sound hole, can't wait to get back in my closet and give it a whirl
posted on #22
bluvation Supporter
GemmyF wrote:
I like the two mic solution one on the body and one at the neck above the sound hole, can't wait to get back in my closet and give it a whirl

Is that your man cave Jim? bet you got a fridge and a popcorn machine in there too for between jams lol! :)
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Electric Guitar
159 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #23
fanne
No one mentioned the mid-side set up, one of my favorites
+1
posted on #24
bluvation Supporter
What is the mid side setup? :)
posted on #25
fanne
I think it’s the most flexible set up for recording the acoustic guitar of a singer songwriter. It broadens the stereo image of the guitar much more than a XY set up or any other set up, and works extremely well with the mono recording of the voice. Not mentioned in the article, but you got to have a large membrane condenser with multi patterns (sure a fig 8 pattern) and, in my opinion, a small membrane mic for the mid. Yes that's expensive but I have so many friends who bought a budget mic and after some time they buy the real thing, a good mic will never loose it's value and you will have it for the rest of your life. Not likely you do, but you can sell it again at a price more then you bought it if you wait a couple of years :)https://www.uaudio.com/blog/mid-side-mic-recording/
+1
posted on #26
bluvation Supporter
fanne wrote:
I think it’s the most flexible set up for recording the acoustic guitar of a singer songwriter. It broadens the stereo image of the guitar much more than a XY set up or any other set up, and works extremely well with the mono recording of the voice. Not mentioned in the article, but you got to have a large membrane condenser with multi patterns (sure a fig 8 pattern) and, in my opinion, a small membrane mic for the mid. Yes that's expensive but I have so many friends who bought a budget mic and after some time they buy the real thing, a good mic will never loose it's value and you will have it for the rest of your life. Not likely you do, but you can sell it again at a price more then you bought it if you wait a couple of years :)https://www.uaudio.com/blog/mid-side-mic-recording/

The sound samples of that setup are impressive and good mics do make a difference I know, thanks for the info.
posted on #27
GemmyF
SO I DID the two mics ---one towards the body behind the bridge and the other on the neck above the sound hole ---I used a barrel mic Audio Technica AT4041 at the neck (phantom powered) and a MXL 990 an inexpensive Condenser Microphone ----I panned as Neil's PRO buddy showed either mic hard left and hard right ---A got the BEST results I've ever gotten!

here is just the acoustic guitar(two guitars) -- if you hit this link you might have to play it with Google Music Player
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ApTmCs7xNHBdg7V1_J3Hwvvm-AzKJJcp

here it is mixed -- if you hit this link you might have to play it with Google Music Player
https://drive.google.com/open?id=19D5us1T5Ufqd5PUm6EssLHGyIA0qaEqw

a work in progress/with some revisions since I first posted this in the mixing of vocals- just one take at the vocals and needs some lead and bass

I also sang with the two mics really gave me a lot of headroom that the MXL-990 doesn't provide ----I put the barrel mic pointing up around chest high and behind a few thick sweaters to keep the mics from phasing out on each other
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Great fun for all, a great way of learning to improvise. best musical web site I have come across, cannot put the guitar down now!
davidaustin from England

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali.