Home »Forum»Open mic at the Blue Iguana »When you lose your mojo

When you lose your mojo

posted on #21
User Avatar Supporter
Go camping. I'd do this myself having hit some kind of 'needs a 2 week vacation', but stuff is not together so don't own cool camper, nor even a tent atm.
So, you sit in your chair with your iPad and your smaller keyboard and kind of regress musically.:|
Michael Bender
posted on #22
Administrator
MikeB wrote:
Go camping. I'd do this myself having hit some kind of 'needs a 2 week vacation', but stuff is not together so don't own cool camper, nor even a tent atm.
So, you sit in your chair with your iPad and your smaller keyboard and kind of regress musically.:|

i wouldn't say "regress musically" but "take your time on your musical journey" instead ;)
clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
posted on #23
User Avatar Supporter
Everything already said works for me, especially revisiting old recordings and picking up a different instrument.Lately a fretless bass has brought back my enthusiasm. New tones and new skills to focus on.
posted on #24
User Avatar Member
I was in that place when I found Wikiloops in March. Playing alone for decades with a looper pedal gets incredibly BORING. The loop really helped with that. I used new gear to reinvigorate me for years and now I have way too much stuff. I need to sell a bunch of it. Sometimes I have to step away from it for a week or two. The first time I pick up my guitar when I start again something cool comes out. Learning something new also gets me back in the swing. Anything that keeps me away from my usual boring patterns.
Edited by Riffraff on Agosto 01 2021 20:30
posted on #25
User Avatar Supporter
My mojo seems to be on perm. hiatus. Replaced by the dulcet refrains of 'thrill is gone'. New instrument (guitar ukulele) sort of eases the pain, yet the musical mind of before has left the building.:@
Michael Bender
posted on #26
User Avatar Member
I didn't play or listen to music AT ALL for 10-15 years after suddenly loosing some hearing and developing tinnitus and distorted hearing. I have no music/CD/records/streaming service to this day. I hated music - mine, commercial music, all music. There was no enjoyment left with my hearing problems. I enjoyed complete silence, reading, walking, camping.

Then I got slowly back into it after divorce/retirement/house sale/buying a boat to live the quiet life on. But I still hated commercial/radio/music made for money. Something is lost. When I was young in the 70's and 80's and in punk or reggae bands everything was so much more fun and amateur.

On another site there is a forum where one man bands and bedroom recorders/mixers would post up their songs for criticism. I slowly realised that I liked those songs even badly recorded, played and sang, though some were pretty good - they were real. Even so a lot of the uploaders had some vision of "success" they were chasing, which steered what they ere doing too much..

Then finally I found wikiloops where the whole point is making music for the pure enjoyment of it and bouncing ideas around to see if others are inspired and vice versa. The music and atmosphere here is the real thing. It's so cool.

I also suffer from having been an ok player 30-40 years ago when I played a lot, and it is frustrating to be more technically limited now that I don't, but there is also joy in NOT playing so often as I don't get so stuck in a rut as I did.

Right now I'm listening to wikiloops albums and agin - the music is REAL. It's inspiring.
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
abyssinal from United States

"I support wikiloops because it's a great way for musicians around the world to share ideas and not have their egos kill each other. Thanks."

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali .