Home » Forum » Feedback and Suggestions »
Mixing and mastering

Mixing and mastering

posted on #1
Keeper
Maybe I have missed something, and if so (and it already exists),apologies. One of the things on my "wishlist" has to do with mixing, and or new arrangements. I guess the arrangement thing is already in place. Just upload new arrangements, but what I would like to see is a place for mixes, and or mastered mixes, to be on display, and or compared. If they are going to be compared and discussed, it would help if the players for the comparisons were on the same page, so that one player can be stopped and the other player immediately started, and the ability to go to certain times on the clocks to listen to passages. So it would help if multiple players (streamers) were visible all at once to facilitate comparison. And then the comments down below would allow us to discuss the different mixes/masters, so that we can learn from one another. It would mean multiple streaming players visible at the same time specifically for comparisons and discussions of mix/master. I have learned so much from other people just by listening and comparing. Maybe only available to supporters?

I like to dabble in new arrangements and mixes, and I would love to see a lot more stems posted for this reason. I work with several vocalists/lyricists long term and so I am often working on arrangements to facilitate vocals. That is impossible to do if stems are not provided. That is the one thing I have found to be frustrating...... not being able to get the separate parts of a great session to mix, and or arrange. Some people routinely supply these (AKE), and it is great. Where projects I am involved in I would say it now, that I am always open to have the stems (even if only mp3). Being able to compare mixes etc with players all on the same page I would love! It is one of my fav pass times to dabble with new arrangements and mixes. There are so many talented people out there for us all to learn from. This tool I for one would love!
posted on #2
Dick Supporter
Keeper wrote:
... it would help if the players for the comparisons were on the same page, so that one player can be stopped and the other player immediately started, and the ability to go to certain times on the clocks to listen to passages. So it would help if multiple players (streamers) were visible all at once to facilitate comparison. And then the comments down below would allow us to discuss the different mixes/masters, so that we can learn from one another. It would mean multiple streaming players visible at the same time specifically for comparisons and discussions of mix/master. I have learned so much from other people just by listening and comparing.

Sometimes, things take a little longer, but...
I believe I may have worked out a quite decent solution for the use-case you pointed at,
admittedly this is a bit of a side-product, but hey, might as well work for you:
You may now embed playable wikiloops tracks into forum posts (notice the newly added wikiloops-button next to the youtube-embedder),
allowing for up to 4 players per post, so you may create such comparisons quite easily.

The only downside to this approach is that you'll need to post a public forum post to use that (giving you the desired discussion options, too) - if you feel the comparison mode should rather be a private option, it shouldn't be too hard to set up a special page on which you can embed X players by ID, feel free to let me know eventually :)

To demonstrate the embed widget - it simply looks like this (shameless self-promo, btw):
[wl]121060[/wl]
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Electric Guitar
159 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
Keeper
You are soooo close on this Dick! I know you have to ponder how this needs to go, but make this part wiki style (global edit), instead of forum posts (which could scatter the players in posts), and you got a gold mine! I mean we have been able to do forum posts forever but putting all players in one area make global comparrison immediate. That is the only stickler.
posted on #4
Keeper
Ok here's the link to my template Dick. I have xml hosted at git hub, for the html5 players which the members can insert their links into, and the direct links to the files come directly from google drive. This is all google driven, so a developer could integrate this fairly easy: https://sites.google.com/site/comparemixmaster/ya-dig-suzy
posted on #5
Keeper
When a person creates a new page (for a new mix/master exercize) the template has all of this already in place. They simply upload their mix and insert it into the players. The players are "google gadgets" hosted on github, so it's simple to copy/paste more gadgets in thus increasing the embedded players to infinity. Only difference is the "wiki" format making the edit global. I can give you specifics, and even the xml on github if it helps. Any code I have is at your disposal.
posted on #6
Keeper
I could setup a place for you to work and ponder how to make use of their resources here (google). It would be a duplicate of what I have there, only you would be able to inspect the working so you could develop it for direct integraton here. I know you could do this yourself, and maybe you will, but they have almost unlimited resources which could lessen your hosting burden considerably if you did this. I will hand over all I have in place for your inspection. Just say the word. I have seen other collab sites integrate google and other host services. They just went and developed apps. Let me know how I can help. It's all available to you.
posted on #7
Dick Supporter
ah, sorry, I just responded in the other thread, will check out these links and get back to you!
posted on #8
Keeper
I will give you full access for your inspection Dick. It actually took me awhile to figure out "google gadgets", which is just xml/javascript packets. Customize the javascript and save it in an xml covering and then insert the xml directly into the templates. Hosted xml on github. Once i figured that out, I went about the task of customizing it for online collabs. Been working at that since about 1998. Layman trial and error, and finally got it where I wanted for my tasks.
+1
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
Keeper
It's nice but what you have achieved blows this away. I have thought about this for awhile...... what if Dick got ahold of this. How much better it would be.
posted on #10
Keeper
Yeah sorry for spreading this conversation over two threads. Yes excited at the prospect of what I can learn about mix/master from knowledgable people. Online collabs = free education for me. I have learned so much from people.
posted on #11
Dick Supporter
Just a quick draft on the mixes comparison page...
it will take some time to get around to this, but I'll get back to it for sure :)
[img]https://www.wikiloops.com/forum/attachments/draft1.jpg[/img]
+2
posted on #12
Keeper
Dick wrote:
Just a quick draft on the mixes comparison page...
it will take some time to get around to this, but I'll get back to it for sure :)
[img]https://www.wikiloops.com/forum/attachments/draft1.jpg[/img]

Yes the general layout.
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
299 €
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
I consider myself brand new at music creating music, and this site is great for helping me get more comfortable jamming with other artists!
Dirkus from United States

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali.