Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
Wikiloops member meeting 2018

wikiloops member meeting 2018

posted on #1
Dick Supporter
[img]https://wloops2.r.worldssl.net/ex/w10/001_plakat-wikimeet2018_wide-min.jpg[/img]

For the 5th time running it is once more my pleasure to invite you to the
wikiloops member meeting in Germany in 2018 :)

Starting Thursday, the 30th of August and ending Sunday the 2nd of September 2018,
once again at the historic monastery in Steinfeld where we've also met and jammed in the previous years.
For those who may have missed it and would like to get some idea what the event looks and feels like, here's the link to the video documentation of last years event once more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_enidEomec

If you would like to join us, here is the procedure how to register and the most important bits of information for you:

How to get there:
The location is 53925 Steinfeld, Germany, about one hour drive west of Cologne.
It can be reached by public transport to either Train station "Kall" or "Urft/Steinfeld" on the train route between Cologne and Trier; the closest airport is Cologne, Duesseldorf (DUS) is also within reach.
We are providing shutteling and help getting there to our non-german visitors, so do not hesitate to contact me if you need help figuring out some trip details.

What is provided and needs to be "booked" ahead of time, and what can be done on short notice?
For those who'd like to attend the whole event, we are offering accomodation and full catering at the monasterys guesthouse including breakfast, lunch and dinner.
These services need to be reserved via wikiloops ahead of time, and we will ask for a pre-payment to make sure there will be no losses on wikiloops end in case someone can not show up and we have to pay for a reserved but empty bed.
The guesthouse offers a variety of room standards, mostly double-bedded rooms. If you have special preferrences like needing a single room, please register early, these will go quick :)
You may come and visit the event as a "day visitor" without any pre-registration of bed & food as well.
Again, we will be providing the basic PA & gear needs, and instruments shall be brought by you guys - feel free to let others know what you are bringing and if you are OK to let others use that, too, so we don't end up with 17 guitar amps ;)

What does participation cost?
The full weekend (3 nights, Thursday-Sunday) will cost 284 € per person (prices include participation fee, guesthouse & food),
the "short weekend" (Friday-Sunday) costs 224 €
and a single nights stay (Saturday-Sunday or Friday-Saturday) 128 €.
If you are not planning to stay over night, please be ready to contribute 20€ per day of attending the meeting so we can cover the cost for the music venue.

We'll be happy to figure out the deal thats suits you best, feel free to get in touch with me (Dick) by wikiloops-message if you have any special questions, would like to arrive early and stay longer than just the weekend, or need airport shutteling.

How to get started?
The whole registration procedure is based on first-come-first-served, capacity is not unlimited, so please go right ahead and enter your wikiloops user name (mind, I need the username to know whom to contact!) in the following doodle calendar to register:

https://doodle.com/poll/q7rsw5atsvyficud

All the best from wikiloops headquarters & looking foreward to another great live jam
Richard
+7
posted on #2
earlsteven
yes, i am with you:W tell me what can i do there to push you up. in the moment i dont know how to pay this:o BUT I WILL FIND A WAY.:W cu
+3
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
TeeGee Supporter
earlsteven wrote:
yes, i am with you:W tell me what can i do there to push you up. in the moment i dont know how to pay this:o BUT I WILL FIND A WAY.:W cu

Well, here are some numbers for you. 284 € per person for the full experience.

First of all let's assume you are going to be there for 3 nights and 3.5 days. Considering that the average cost of food in Germany is statistically between 200-250 Euro per month, that makes about 8 Euros per day, so already you save 28 Euro on those 3.5 days. So that's 256 left. Now let's assume that if you don't go to Steinfeld, you would probably go out at least once during this time. So even if you are a modest consumer of beverages you probably end up spending 15 - 20 euros MORE than you would do for beverages in Steinfeld for these three days. So we are left on 236 €. If you are living alone fo instance, and you are away for a few days you turn the heating down. that would be a few Euros, but I won't cut it from the amount as I am not sure.
Also, I am pretty sure that if you stay at home on a long weekend instead of going to Steinfeld you would go on the internet and buy something you don't really need. It may not happen every time, but it could happen on that weekend. It may be something small. Maybe something you saw in a shop window? In any case, I think going to Steinfeld will save you at least 10 Euros on miscellaneous things. So we are on 226.

From now to September these are 40 weeks, so if you put away every week a little amount, you can make it. I will for sure :)

P.S. I just found out on the internet that the average price for happiness is about 15.26 € per joy. Considering you'll have at lest 16.6 joy moments during the meeting I think you will break even without a problem.

On a serious note: Yes it might be difficult, especially those needing to travel - but everyone needs and deserves a few days off, letting your hair down and having fun - and for me it is the musical highlight of the year, seeing the guys, listening to music, playing, listening to your stories, I come back full of energy and happiness from these meetings. So I will start setting aside some money now and make sure I be there. and thanks for Dick to give us a very early warning so we can plan!!
+6
posted on #4
earlsteven
:D:W
+1
posted on #5
mpointon Supporter
Don't care how I do it, I will get there. By hook, crook, or any other means I can come across.
+3
posted on #6
TeeGee Supporter
mpointon wrote:
Don't care how I do it, I will get there. By hook, crook, or any other means I can come across.

Hook and crook sounds painful, I would consider a car or airplane, but.... :D
+1
posted on #7
Wade Supporter
You know I'll be there...and three days earlier than everyone else. Jet lag needs to be given it's due when day become night and night becomes day. If any of you locals want to have some warm-up play time I'll be wasted but available.
+6
posted on #8
Tofzegrit Supporter
Hop hop hop 😎
+2
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Electric Guitar
159 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
kimbo
.............................From now to September these are 40 weeks, so if you put away every week a little amount, you can make it. I will for sure :)

teegee makes it sound so good ...think i'm gonna live there. its so cheap :D
yes, sorry guys, but its my recharge for the year. So one way or another i'm gonna be there............................. can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+2
posted on #10
nadrek
I will be there. I need to work out whether to fly or drive (or get a lift if anyone is driving from the UK ?) and what instruments that means I can bring, but I'll be there.

Is there a piano at the location?
+4
posted on #11
Dick Supporter
nadrek wrote:

There are actually two pianos in the location, but last time around, they were not really in the best of shapes tuning wise.
Thinking about it, I actually irritated the shizzle out of the local choir leader (who seemed to be using those pianos on a regular basis) by commenting on the tuning,
he obviously hadn't noticed. That turned out a foot-in-mouth situation on my end, but bottom line: best forget about the pianos.

I'm quite confident you can count on will_C and Marc bringing their keys / synths, so there should be no shortage of keys either way you might travel :)
Looking foreward very much!
+2
posted on #12
will_C
nadrek wrote:

Don't worry about keyboards as long as you do not insist in the traditional (acoustical) style.
;)
+1
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
posted on #13
nadrek
Great stuff thanks guys. If there are any kind of black and whites available then I’ll probably just fly in with a trombone.
+5
posted on #14
nilton
Makes me wonder, how hard is to tune a piano using modern tuners? Has anybody tried? I certainly will be harder and more time consuming than tuning a guitar, especially for a beginner but i think it should be doable
posted on #15
kimbo
Sorry dick but only flights I could get were, 29th 14:45 in and 3rd 17:40 out....
Got any where I can stay for the extra?
Ps guitar case is BIG! this time....
posted on #16
Wade Supporter
nilton wrote:
Makes me wonder, how hard is to tune a piano using modern tuners? Has anybody tried? I certainly will be harder and more time consuming than tuning a guitar, especially for a beginner but i think it should be doable

I've tuned many pianos. Not a problem even with just a single pitch tuning fork, but it takes time. That means nobody around and quiet for some hours. Can't emphasize enough how important quiet is, as it's impossible with any background noise. I've never used an electronic tuner, but it should be somewhat faster. The slow bit is that you mostly have three strings per note (fewer in the bass notes) and only tune one to pitch then must make the others match. Not sure if this could be easier with an electronic tuner as the adjustment is usually by ear to remove wavers that you hear between close, but not quite in tune frequencies. I'd need felts or rubber stoppers and a tuning key. Wouldn't be able to make any other pertinent adjustments without proper tools, but hopefully it doesn't require any major work/adjustment.

Over to the rest of you to arrange before the event if considered important. I will be there a few days early, so it's possible. NOT possible once people are there.
+1
posted on #17
TeeGee Supporter
I have a piano at home, and when my son was playing I had the guy in maybe once every 1.5 years or so. It cost about 75 €, and the guy had it done in a couple of hours.

Those stingy people at the monastery should pay for it and get a pro guy in to do it (those people need to make a living too)

They are using the piano for a choir, and renting out the room, so for the price of one tank full of benzine they could fix it easily. If I was one of the people in the choir I would even sort it out between them if there is no money available. Rant over.
+2
posted on #18
kimbo
....most polite rant ever! :D
+1
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Electric Guitar
2.249 €
posted on #19
TeeGee Supporter
kimbo wrote:
....most polite rant ever! :D

Hmm the first draft had a lot of ******* and beeeeeps in there :|
posted on #20
Acousticeg Supporter
Would love to go...but can't afford it. But my heart will be there jamming with you all. Please video a few jams to share with us here in the U.S.
+3
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Wikiloops is an amazing platform to experiment with the styles of music that I never have had the opportunity to vocalize with. Thanks to all the excellent musicians/producers, the sound quality of the tracks are spectacular.
rtkradle from United States

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali.