Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
Please Tune Your Instrument

Please Tune Your Instrument

posted on #1
Ernie440 Supporter
Just a friendly reminder to guitar players ... (because I'm not gonna add to bass players) .. please tune to standard pitch with a tuner before uploading templates here. It doesn't happen very often (hardly ever) but occasionally I come across tracks I can't play on because they're not in standard pitch. If I really like it, I will tune to the track by ear and then add but not usually because it's just going to be confusing for the next person who wants to add their instrument to the track or it will get added to and just sound horrific.
+8
posted on #2
eGiL
What he said!! :D
+2
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Electric Guitar
2.249 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
Wade Supporter
Hey, you guys can tune to stuff. Some of us can't, or only up to around 20cents out. Another vote for please tune your guitar!
+2
posted on #4
Ernie440 Supporter
Yes I was turned onto the 432Hz music history just the other day by another member, it's very interesting!! Mostly though, people here aren't professionals and their instrument is sometimes "tuned" to their living room where they sit and jam ... their instrument is in perfect tune for them but over time it gets out of standard pitch which is the common one these days for most folks ;). For all intents and purposes ... it's just easier to get your tuner out and make sure it's easy for other players here. You can experiment all you want with other frequencies here but it will just confuse most loopers IMO.

Pyrrhic wrote:
440Hz was made the standard..or concert pitch. Prior music in history was composed and played in other frequencies, perhaps 432Hz used often prior to a "Standard".
There is much debate that 432Hz is a more natural frequency. It is in natural harmony with the earth as well as human brain. Mathematical division is more accurate.
Some change is moving in a direction to play in this frequency and experiment as such. It is easier to some extent for string instruments to tune to this, others not possible because of the 440Hz standard set forth in the industry. The shift from 440 to 432 can be subtle based on what is accompany the instruments. Pitch can slide in tolerance around the frequency perfect. Think fretless base and the unique sound. It is a shift in this frequency or pitch change that creates a desired effect or sound.
On traditional guitar tuned to 432Hz is perhaps and sound or effect an artist is having vision for? Perhaps it aligns better to there inner balance and harmony.
Is only music upload here permitted in 440Hz?
I believe artist should be free to experiment with the 432Hz frequency and experience. Maybe it is a vision to share.
If you find music not sutible to play with why not just find music which does? If some music is so great you must play it possible to correct pitch easily in DAW no problem. But the original artist freedom of the originator can be lost. Sorry for poor English.

+2
posted on #5
Ernie440 Supporter
It's not mandatory that I know of .. haha :D I'm just a member here who likes to have tracks that are in standard pitch. Thought that might be wise as a general rule of thumb. Please do experiment all you like, it's your choice, no rules about that, just please let the next track uploader know you're tuned differently in your track description.

Pyrrhic wrote:
Is not artistic freedom possible to explore 432Hz?
Just not play on said music if not feasible, but mandatory 440Hz should not be rule.
Many possible sounds can be creative to open possible.

+3
posted on #6
GemmyF
he said man duh tory :D

in this link there is 4 different tunings ---- yet all are tuned in 440 Cause I'm with -> Ernie

http://seaseesongs.bandcamp.com/album/from-norway-texas-with-throng

Don't think there is a lack of creativity on this compositions
+4
posted on #7
Ernie440 Supporter
on another "note" ... if your instrument is out of tune with itself ... there's nothing we can do for you except perhaps an exorcism!! :):D:W
+3
posted on #8
GemmyF
Pyrrhic wrote:
GemmyF wrote:
he said man duh tory :D

in this link there is 4 different tunings ---- yet all are tuned in 440 Cause I'm with -> Ernie

http://seaseesongs.bandcamp.com/album/from-norway-texas-with-throng

Don't think there is a lack of creativity on this compositions

You discuss tunings not frequency shift. There is major difference. Perhaps you not understanding is ok. Thanks you for link. Is interesting music.

Right I understand the difference -- my point is that there are a lot of ways to be free from convention and still be able to play with people that might be more conventional. But Like 440 said(Ernie) most person have tuners that are set-up in 440--even though they can adjust it to whatever -- We all have limited amount of time to jam or create Stunning music --- I look at new guitars online and at some point I laugh at myself and Know I need to spend more time working on my playing than thinking about another guitar or whatever....TIME IT'S fleeting.:)
+3
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Cabinet for Electric Guitar
169 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
KMstar
i am one who prefers tracks to be in 440 but I will say that over the years of playing mostly by ear the tracks that are not in 440 gave me an extra challenge. When a song is complicated and you struggle to find the key then it hits you that its not in standard tuning, its was an accomplishment to me to figure out how to adapt. It helped to teach me to think outside of the expected in a way. I have always prefered 440 tuninv because like Wade said not everyone has the ability to just start tuning to 432 or whatever do to the design of their instrument and I like working with a variety of sounds. For the purpose of getting the most out of a song 440 is the right tuning in my opinion
+4
posted on #10
Tofzegrit Supporter
I’ve just bought a « new year wish » in order to tune my instrument before playing :)
+2
posted on #11
magirtiko
A note: the most of DAWs can mount VST free plugins like GTune for easily tuning your basses and guitars.

https://www.gvst.co.uk/gtune.htm

Hope this is useful :)
+4
posted on #12
fblack
Buuu Ernie buuuu!!:D:o
I apologize if my guitars ever sound out of tune, I usually adjust the guitar before playing, but when doing a bending it can tune.
My guitars are of medium quality, it is not an excuse ... if I notice what sounds bad I record and record it until it sounds good. I usually listen to the tracks before uploading to wikiloops.
Excuse me, my english:)
+4
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
posted on #13
Ernie440 Supporter
magirtiko wrote:
A note: the most of DAWs can mount VST free plugins like GTune for easily tuning your basses and guitars.

https://www.gvst.co.uk/gtune.htm

Hope this is useful :)

Good point, makes it easy .. the amplitube program I use with reaper has a couple tuners but I notice the tuning changes slightly on my bass to achieve "440" depending whether I'm plugged directly into the focusrite interface or if I'm running a line off of the amp into the interface ... NOT a good thing!! Well it seems to be close enough to jam on the loops .. it's rock and roll after all. Guess I'm too lazy to pull out my hardware tuner (which can vary as well) ... maybe I'll just start using my tuning fork again. :O
+5
posted on #14
Ernie440 Supporter
fblack wrote:
Buuu Ernie buuuu!!:D:o
I apologize if my guitars ever sound out of tune, I usually adjust the guitar before playing, but when doing a bending it can tune.
My guitars are of medium quality, it is not an excuse ... if I notice what sounds bad I record and record it until it sounds good. I usually listen to the tracks before uploading to wikiloops.
Excuse me, my english:)

haha Hugo!!!! Like I said, a "friendly" reminder. Like brushing your teeth before bed, tuning before a song is a GOOD THING!! :W:D
+5
posted on #15
Acousticeg Supporter
I also apologize if you've tried playing to one of my out of pitch songs. A little sharp or flat. I've also uploaded a few songs that may not have a set BPM. But I usually say it's a jam if I just pick up my guitar and improvise. Just so you know it may not be perfectly in tune or not have perfect timing. Just like in real life when people jam. lol :):)
+6
posted on #16
axenvocs Supporter
I have been guilty of that a few times myself not checking the InTune feature on my Daw. Lucky for me my playing is so bad most people don't try to join anyway.:P
+3
posted on #17
bhunt1 Supporter
This thread reminds me of several accounts of class rock and R&B songs/albums being recorded out of standard tuning because the guitars/basses were tuned to each other out of standard tune. One example is the first Van Halen album - Eddie and Michael were in tune with each other but not with standard.

Btw I tune in Garageband when I record - as long as that's accurate I think I'm ok - unless I forget to tune at all :)
+1
posted on #18
Acousticeg Supporter
axenvocs wrote:
I have been guilty of that a few times myself not checking the InTune feature on my Daw. Lucky for me my playing is so bad most people don't try to join anyway.:P

I've heard you play. Your playing is fine. Will check out more of your songs. I practice at least an hour every day. And still I suck at some things. lol I think of it this way. If I compare myself to my favorite guitarist I'd just give up. We should never compare our self to anyone else. No one is better at doing what you do. You hear the music in your head...and you bring it to life. If songs were children I'd have a lot of ugly kids. lol But their still my kids.
+9
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
Le jamsession online di wikiloops sono disponibili con il gentile sostegno di:
user profile image
Just came across what you guys are doing here and it is great!!
amaser1 - England

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali.