It's Summer!

posted on #1
mpointon Supporter
Well, nearly. But most importantly, it's time to remove the hard top from LadyPointon's Lotus and get some roof-off action in. I've loved Lotus cars all my life - my dream has always been to own a Lotus Esprit - but getting to play with its smaller brother, the Lotus Elise, regularly is not a second place! I had a Lotus Elise many years ago in 2002 and I remember driving it off the forecourt of the dealer just thinking 'I'm driving a Lotus'!. It genuinely was a dream come true for me. Sadly I couldn't keep my car for financial reasons but 17 years later I get to play with one again. Just a shame it's not mine but LadyPointon's - which is how we met, admittedly..!

I have three things in my life I love: drums, of course and they are my first love, after that it's flying gliders and Lotus cars. So here's me having a few moments messing about with the loud pedal in LadyPointon's Elise Sports Racer today to give it its post-winter shakedown after months of being out of action. It might only be 190bhp and 4 cylinders but when a car only weighs 850kg, it's a riot. The bikers among you will know what I'm talking about.

And I have no idea what exhaust LadyP had put on her car - I think it's a Quicksilva - but it sounds sooooo good that I can't help myself. It's the simple things in life. Most of the video is me going down the road to my house which may be narrow but is a dead end and my house is the last one so I can open the taps all I like after I pass the other houses!

Incidentally, the video is because we use a Yi Dashcam DVR in the Lotus for insurance/protection purposes. You would not believe the number of people who see a sports car and think they can get you into a race. Also, I don't actually break any UK speed limits in the video (60mph - 100 kmh) - I just enjoy the gears! My heel/toe technique needs a little practice too when ti comes to braking.

It's the simple [and childish] things in life.

[youtube]-r_fnuB7KwM[/youtube]
+4
posted on #2
FrankieJ Supporter
Everyone was driving on the wrong side of the road!:o
Nice ride :)
+2
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
mpointon Supporter
It's just a shame all the things I enjoy in life are just not cheap. It's not intentional, it's just I love Lotus cars and I love flying.

I'm desperate to take up gliding again - not done it since 2010 - but that'd need a couple of £K spare a year to retrain, let alone the £20-50k needed to buy a glider which I'd ultimately want to do, and I just haven't got anywhere near the money spare to justify it.

And that's ignoring the fact I need to spend a wedge on replacing the heads on my kits and my cracked cymbals - both my 10" splash and 17" crash have cracked :(

Sometimes I wonder why I couldn't just take up the kazoo and enjoy cycling or something. Either that or just go and live off-grid somewhere and forego the trappings and costs of modern life!
posted on #4
TeeGee Supporter
Lol we all enjoy a good old whine about our horrible horrible life once in a while ;)

Cool car, probably a little bit too small for me but sounds like fun
+1
posted on #5
mpointon Supporter
TeeGee wrote:
Lol we all enjoy a good old whine about our horrible horrible life once in a while ;)

Cool car, probably a little bit too small for me but sounds like fun

If you're over about 6'2" your head will stick out above the windscreen!
posted on #6
TeeGee Supporter
mpointon wrote: If you're over about 6'2" your head will stick out above the windscreen!

I am :O

Lol reminds me of the time in 1989 I co-owned a 1960 Vespa 400 micro car. I would drive looking over the windscreen :D The kids in the Hood would always lift the car up and hide it somewhere, it was so light... Annoying gits but was a cool time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vespa_400
posted on #7
mpointon Supporter
Wow. Never seen one of those although in that colour it looks worryingly similar to those old three-wheeler UK disabled cars of days gone by.

[img]https://www.eureka.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/AC_Invalid_Carriage_1976-712x490.jpg[/img]
+2
posted on #8
bhunt1 Supporter
That vid is cool - looks like so much fun :) I have been to the UK twice and have driven there both times, but never a Lotus unfortunately. I was afraid to ask for a standard trans rental car because of the right drive, but broke down once and got a standard trans car - I think it was a Ford Cortina. Actually it wasn't that hard for me to adapt, since the floor pedals were in the same arrangement as in the US. Maybe I will ask for a Lotus next time :)
+2
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Fender AV II 63 TELE RW RED TRANS
Electric Guitar
2.249 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
mpointon Supporter
bhunt1 wrote:
That vid is cool - looks like so much fun :) I have been to the UK twice and have driven there both times, but never a Lotus unfortunately. I was afraid to ask for a standard trans rental car because of the right drive, but broke down once and got a standard trans car - I think it was a Ford Cortina. Actually it wasn't that hard for me to adapt, since the floor pedals were in the same arrangement as in the US. Maybe I will ask for a Lotus next time :)

You won't get a Lotus as a hire car! You mention a Ford Cortina - we're talking a while ago then! We're a weird country, driving on the wrong side of the road to most of the world! For me, driving left-hand drive cars is easy because I've had to do it a lot. We're such an odd country: everyone speaks our language so we don't learn anyone else's and everyone had to adapt to our stupid side of the road. Unless you're Australian, New Zealand or Japan.

Nevertheless, driving a Lotus Elise is basically road-legal go-karting. And I, for one, am thankful the political brigade haven't stamped it out yet!

You can sit in the car and reach out of the door and touch the road (whilst stationary!), that's how low you are. So 60 mph feels like 100! Love it. I just want one that's mine, not borrow LadyPointon's to have fun in!

Attached is her toy at rest. No fair it's not mine :(
mpointon attached the following image:

Edited by mpointon on 8 maggio 2019 04:01
If you make a mistake, do it again and make it look like you meant to do it!
+4
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
When I first seen this site I just could not believe the things you could do with other musicians, gone from strength to strength and its all dong to everyone as great musicians, long may it continue.
tron12 from Ireland

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali.