Home » Forum » Recording and mixing »
Acoustic Guitar players .. careful with the low string bass notes.

Acoustic Guitar players .. careful with the low string bass notes.

posted on #1
Ernie440 Supporter
Just something I've observed. Sometimes I hear great acoustic guitar tracks but you're thumbing that big E string and getting a real heavy bass note/s. Almost impossible to play bass on it, as it really can clash with your guitar track because of this. If you play the exact same bass notes or close to it .. it can sound OK ...

Maybe something to be aware of ... applies to electric and keys sometimes too .. but I really notice it more often on acoustic guitars. Not picking on anyone in particular ...
+5
posted on #2
TeeGee Supporter
I suppose if there is a single track available you equalize a bit of the bass frequencies out of it a bit when you do your bass track?
+3
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Cabinet for Electric Guitar
169 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
Ernie440 Supporter
TeeGee wrote:
I suppose if there is a single track available you equalize a bit of the bass frequencies out of it a bit when you do your bass track?

That's a great idea buddy Tee! I don't generally play around with guitar frequencies or alter people's ideas for their sound .. but yeah .. I may try that next time I like a track - but it sounds like bass is already there, but isn't :D ;) Spooky bass notes .. lol! :D
+3
posted on #4
TeeGee Supporter
Well, you don't need to change the sound as such, just take away the really low frequencies. Might even make it sound better. If I post an HD track on my tracks, it's an open invitation to change anything by anyone - usually it only gets better :D
+5
posted on #5
Ernie440 Supporter
Can't argue with any of that ... all good advice man. Still hoping players who may want a bass add do it themselves .. so I don't have to.
+6
posted on #6
GrooveEnth
yeah - I'd second what Ernie said (Also applies to other instruments as he said.) I often do try to eq out the low end to avoid clashes (as TeeGee suggests) but that often means the kick starts to disappear and drums lose impact. Really the problem is that everyone, quite understandably, is trying to get a good sounding mix with their own part and that usually fills up too much frequency space for further adds. It's just a bigger problem for bass (I think) because clashes at low frequency sound particularly bad.

Anyway, the real fix is to always add in HQ so people who follow you can always re-eq each part in isolation but I know life is too short.... ;-)
+6
posted on #7
GemmyF
@Blue Creature playing Uke? did you mean HD Solo track????? or did you mean Head Quarters --Never know with Brits.
ANYWAY here is a tune for ya'lls enjoyment
[wl]167640[/wl]
+1
posted on #8
GemmyF
A quick follow up Mates!!! Some Saxy Nylons!
[wl]167648[/wl]
Daddario EXL170
Daddario EXL170
Electric Bass String Set
22,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
Ernie440 Supporter
LittleWing wrote:
Ernesto- You are complaining about a well known and very old problem that has plagued recording studios for decades.
The problem is frustrating but can be overcome.

It is time to learn EQing grasshopper...you must learn Eqing....

Both the track you are adding to AND your bass.

You may want to try this ....

https://www.behindthemixer.com/art-bass-eq-using-eight-key-frequency-ranges/

[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/aLTFHi2aowjJe/giphy.gif[/img]

Seek and ye shall find....

Little Joe - I EQ my bass on every track cutting out everything below 40hz as a general rule of thumb..
Again, not my issue ... this thread is aimed at guitar players, acoustic mostly who post tracks that come with free bass thuds. I'm not complaining either.
+5
posted on #10
Acousticeg Supporter
I admit it...guilty as charged! Do not pass go... go directly to jail.:|
+2
posted on #12
FrankieJ Supporter
Well firstly, I mix drinks much better than I do music :)

Ernie makes a good point and I only speak for myself on the topic.
I fight with the bass notes in the mix all the time when playing the acoustic.
I have a busy thumb that tends to ride the bass strings a lot when doing fingerstyle stuff.

My suggestion to anyone interested in adding to my tracks but desire a different mix to let me
know about it. I will do my best to accommodate. I welcome and encourage that kind of dialogue.

Quite honestly, when I provide an HD solo track I am hoping someone will give it a better mix anyway.

Rock on ladies and gents :)
+8
Cabinet for Electric Guitar
169 €
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
I support wikiloops because making music costs money, listening to good music is priceless
Neddings from Netherlands

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali.