Home »Forum»Open mic at the Blue Iguana »RIP Ginger Baker (19 August 1939 – 6 October 2019)

RIP Ginger Baker (19 August 1939 – 6 October 2019)

posted on #1
User Avatar Supporter
[youtube]rCUWusjBxQc[/youtube]
posted on #2
User Avatar Supporter
Funny song with Ginger singing/complaining about the tea situation in the U.S.A. Really good album too.

[youtube]6WKH_MQ1tSc[/youtube]
posted on #3
Administrator
RIP seen him and Jack Bruce live in the 80ies, legends!
posted on #4
User Avatar Supporter
TeeGee wrote:
RIP seen him and Jack Bruce live in the 80ies, legends!

Cool Tee! Would have loved to have been there.

[youtube]TJ0Pb_78G8E[/youtube]
posted on #5
User Avatar Member
[youtube]YIqa27Ml3jI[/youtube]

This guy was one of the guys who got me into drumming as my dad had the wheels of fire album, with of course the great drum solo "Toad" - as played above :)
Edited by pconey on Ottobre 07 2019 18:29
posted on #6
Fool
there's an interview where Ginger Baker I've once watched some years ago where he explains how the quality of a drummer changes the quality of a band -
he basicly says (as far as I recall):
"now, if you have a good band with a medium drummer, then you'll have a decent band. If you have a good band with a good drummer, then you'll have a pretty good band - and if you have a super drummer... well, then you'll have a SUPERBAND!" -
the grin on his face at the end of the statement is something I probably won't ever forget. If someone knows where to find that interview, post up a link if you like :)
May he rest in peace.
"Sorry - had to do it!" - Les Claypool

yes, you are looking at the administrators signature.
posted on #7
User Avatar Supporter
I struggle with GB. I do not discount his contribution to the drumming world and to rock music in general. The drumming world would be a poorer place without him.

But like Buddy Rich before him, as a person he was downright unpleasant.
If you make a mistake, do it again and make it look like you meant to do it!
posted on #8
User Avatar Member
@MP -yep, I get that. interesting comments.

Of course he always insisted he wasn't a "rock" drummer, but a "jazz drummer", and yet oddly most of his drumming work in Cream and Blind Faith (for which he became famous for) had very little jazz in it, but more a general mixture of blues, rock, african, with jazz flourishes

He seemed to get worse the older he became, perhaps all the drugs he took during the 60s softened his rather "blunt" opinionated personality. Sometimes he could be quite interesting and entertaining to listen to, but other times just plain mean. For example saying that John Bonham "couldnt swing a sack of ****" and basically slating other legendary drummers is incomprehensible, and quite unacceptable in my view. He seemed to think he was above all other drummers, which is utter nonsense, and having owned every cream / zep and who recording and studied them inside out - I can say that his playing is the easiest out of those 3 to play, and actually Mitch Mitchell was also far more advanced im my view.

However we could go on and on - A fantastic drummer who brought something different to the table, who rightly deserves his place up there amongst many others! but agreed, not always the easiest of people :)
Edited by pconey on Ottobre 10 2019 15:52
posted on #9
User Avatar Member
[youtube]bIrATce1bbQ[/youtube]

Could be this one Richard? Anyway all, enjoy this vid - top rock and roll guy. RIP lad
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
digitalsin from Phillipines

"I support wikiloops it promotes collaboration of musicians world wide"

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali .