Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
Neophyte Questions

Neophyte Questions

posted on #1
jpkelly Supporter
So...I've been lurking around this great site for a few months. I'm a never to be famous bass player (student actually) and I feel humbled to be around the smart, talented folks here. I understand the basics of the various tools available here but before jumping in I need a better understanding of a couple of things. One is: Not sure if I'm ready to add a bass track to someone's existing session template yet. What if I create my own bass track, post it to my private band page and invite others to build upon it? This way I can temporarily avoid the embarrassment of botching up someones music by getting a feel of things in private for awhile. Does this make any sense?
The second thing is: What is the best way to recruit others to join in with this?
Thanks for any advice!
Best Wishes,
JP
+3
posted on #2
wjl Supporter
Hey and welcome John :) I think you're going to love it here, as this is a great place to be :)

Re your questions, one: don't be afraid - it's all fun around here, that's the main thing. But yes, as a supporter you can as well start a band as well :) Two: just ask if you like someone. Look at their profile page, some good players, singers etc. haven't been in since a while.

Good to have you with us - and now let us hear what you're doing :)

cheers,
Wolfgang
+3
Daddario EXL170
Daddario EXL170
Electric Bass String Set
22,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
TeeGee Supporter
Hey man, welcome to the Loops :)
One thing you should never never never be here is afraid or worried about uploading tracks, regardless of your level of musicianship. On the contrary, upload it and say (for instance) "I am new here, not sure about this or that, what do you think? Can you give me some pointers" (or similar) and you'll see how everyone will give you good advice and encouragement, and that way you will learn a lot and get better at it. Private bands, yes you can do that but you get more feedback and more advice on the open forum. Just go for it :W
+5
posted on #4
kmoon235 Supporter
Welcome jp:
I say just jump in. You will find the Loops is not only full of great musicians but also great people. Don't compare yourself to others-if I did that I'd never post anything. You will find, as I did, that folks will assist you in any way possible. This site is weird and I'm proud to be one of the weirdos. I say that since we do not have a mean streak amongst us and do not take shots at peole like you might encounter on the rest of the internet-yup, wierd, isn't it. We are all brothers and sisters united with the common goal of improving our muscianship and having fun.
Welcome brother,
keith
+4
posted on #5
FrankieJ Supporter
Welcome aboard JP. As TeeGee points out, if you have concerns about something then just ask.
I think you will find friendly advice from everyone here. At least that has been my experience in this place.
Look forward to hearing your works.

Frank
+2
posted on #6
mortheol
kmoon235 wrote:
Welcome jp:
I say just jump in. You will find the Loops is not only full of great musicians but also great people. Don't compare yourself to others-if I did that I'd never post anything. You will find, as I did, that folks will assist you in any way possible. This site is weird and I'm proud to be one of the weirdos. I say that since we do not have a mean streak amongst us and do not take shots at peole like you might encounter on the rest of the internet-yup, wierd, isn't it. We are all brothers and sisters united with the common goal of improving our muscianship and having fun.
Welcome brother,
keith

Very well said Keith;)

Just jump in and upload a jam...everyone is super cool here:W
+3
posted on #7
OliVBee Supporter
Hello JP and welcome onboard ! :)

I think there are already really nice hints from the previous answers : don't be affraid to ask ;)

I'll try to focus on the second part more : the private band and how to get members to join you on this ? In my opinion there's no shortcut really : if you want people to be interested in collaborating with you the first thing is to get them to know you (just as in real life yes) ! so my best advice on this topic would be to start posting remixes on people's jams ... as many as you can (it won't hurt) ! focussing on members you like and who you might toy with the idea of inviting into your private band would also probably help alot when time has come ;)

I'm pretty sure you'll find lots of help on various topics ! Enjoy the place as we all do ;)

OliV
+1
posted on #8
jpkelly Supporter
Well, I appreciate the warm welcome, advice and encouragement from all of you. I guess that I'll just have to jump in and sink or swim. I've downloaded someones tracks and will start tonight! Thanks again! :)
JP
+3
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
299 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Para mi significa, la revelacion de que puedo "hablar" con musicos de todo el mundo en este idioma que todos conocemos LA MUSICA!!!
carlottis

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali.