Home » Forum » Recording and mixing »
Mic for my guitar

Mic for my guitar

posted on #1
Navota Supporter
The old accoutic guitar of my father is back in to shap after bin to the guitar maker in my home town.
Now I want to record with it Can any one tell my what kind of mic is de best to use if I look at internet there are so manny sorts of mics I don't know what's best. I made this a video for my father .
I'm not a good guitar player :( just starting again sinds I was kid. And I'm not good :o at playing in front a camera's. But you can here the sound. I wonder would it be better to use an mic to put on your guitar ? And what are good ones. I used a zoom recorder for this video.[youtube]R3xZ3Hw3Sok[/youtube]
Thanks
+2
posted on #2
wjl Supporter
Hi Rian,

nice video :) And I think your Zoom recorder is perfectly fine, I have one myself, and can even record my upright (or my old nylon guitar) with it.

One tip I would have is to get the recorder/mike much closer to the instrument, so that you'll get less room, and more pure instrument. Try at an angle like the one of the camera, but at a distance of maybe 30-50cm, and listen to that. Best results in my opinion are not directly into the sound hole, but slightly angled at the fretboard, and about the same height - but each instrument and each mike are different, so you'll have to experiment yourself...

Hope that helps?

Cheers,
Wolfgang
+2
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
299 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
ARNOSOLO
Hi Navota,
To record my "full" acoutic guitars, i use to connect 2 mic on a Steinberg UR22mk2 sound card :
Studio Projects B1
Shure SM57

The Studio project is front of the 12th fret (20cm) for the clean frequency and the Shure is down of the table for the low frequency with 45° between the first mic.
I clean frequency between 80 to 20khz and mix each one 70% left and 70% right.
Have fun !
Arno
+2
posted on #4
OliVBee Supporter
By the look of the guitar and after a quick search about this particular model i'd say your guitar is meant to receive nylon strings and it would probably sound great ! the video sounds like steel string were mounted on it ? If it were mine i'd go straight to the best nylon strings possible ! Personally i love Hannabach Exclusive High Tension but at around 30€ a set they might appear a little bit expensive ... Go with strong tension preferably than medium or low !

then about the microphone it's probably the biggest pandora box ! because of course a good microphone is best but then you also want the rest of the chain to be at the same quality level ... if just one mic i'd go for a large diaphragm which is great to capture the body of the sound with great precision and acuracy. You could get very nice result with a mic under 100€ like for example the [url=https://www.thomann.de/nl/audio_technica_at2020.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoibmwiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6MiwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOiJubCJ9]AT 2020[/url] ... keep in mind that a mic like this needs phantom power (that your sound interface might be able to provide)
+3
posted on #5
Navota Supporter
OliVBee wrote:
By the look of the guitar and after a quick search about this particular model i'd say your guitar is meant to receive nylon strings and it would probably sound great ! the video sounds like steel string were mounted on it ? If it were mine i'd go straight to the best nylon strings possible ! Personally i love Hannabach Exclusive High Tension but at around 30€ a set they might appear a little bit expensive ... Go with strong tension preferably than medium or low !

then about the microphone it's probably the biggest pandora box ! because of course a good microphone is best but then you also want the rest of the chain to be at the same quality level ... if just one mic i'd go for a large diaphragm which is great to capture the body of the sound with great precision and acuracy. You could get very nice result with a mic under 100€ like for example the [url=https://www.thomann.de/nl/audio_technica_at2020.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoibmwiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6MiwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOiJubCJ9]AT 2020[/url] ... keep in mind that a mic like this needs phantom power (that your sound interface might be
able to provide)

I asked my father what strings there where on the guitar when he bought it and he said it where iron strings so the guitarmaker in my home town repaired it put irons strings on it because I thought was the best but I'm a flute player trying to play some guitar :--. Thanks for the info I keep it in mind
+1
posted on #6
Navota Supporter
wjl wrote:
Hi Rian,

nice video :) And I think your Zoom recorder is perfectly fine, I have one myself, and can even record my upright (or my old nylon guitar) with it.

One tip I would have is to get the recorder/mike much closer to the instrument, so that you'll get less room, and more pure instrument. Try at an angle like the one of the camera, but at a distance of maybe 30-50cm, and listen to that. Best results in my opinion are not directly into the sound hole, but slightly angled at the fretboard, and about the same height - but each instrument and each mike are different, so you'll have to experiment yourself...

Hope that helps?

Cheers,
Wolfgang

Thanks for the info I gone have a try with the zoom recorder closer and with the mikes I use for my flute
+1
posted on #7
Navota Supporter
ARNOSOLO wrote:
Hi Navota,
To record my "full" acoutic guitars, i use to connect 2 mic on a Steinberg UR22mk2 sound card :
Studio Projects B1
Shure SM57

The Studio project is front of the 12th fret (20cm) for the clean frequency and the Shure is down of the table for the low frequency with 45° between the first mic.
I clean frequency between 80 to 20khz and mix each one 70% left and 70% right.
Have fun !
Arno

Thanks Arno I'm gone have a try with the mikes I use for my flute I have two AGK perception 170 but for my flute they are together on my mic stand like in the picture so I have to change that
Navota attached the following image:

music is the language all people understand so lets make music instead of war❤
+1
posted on #8
TeeGee Supporter
Navota wrote:
OliVBee wrote:

then about the microphone it's probably the biggest pandora box ! because of course a good microphone is best but then you also want the rest of the chain to be at the same quality level ... if just one mic i'd go for a large diaphragm which is great to capture the body of the sound with great precision and acuracy. You could get very nice result with a mic under 100€ like for example the [url=https://www.thomann.de/nl/audio_technica_at2020.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoibmwiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6MiwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOiJubCJ9]AT 2020[/url] ... keep in mind that a mic like this needs phantom power (that your sound interface might be
able to provide)

I asked my father what strings there where on the guitar when he bought it and he said it where iron strings so the guitarmaker in my home town repaired it put irons strings on it because I thought was the best but I'm a flute player trying to play some guitar :--. Thanks for the info I keep it in mind

I'm no expert but from what I remember using steel strings for acoustic guitars on a classic guitar could damage the guitar. The higher tension of the steel strings will cause the neck to bend and may even bow out the body. That's the reason acoustic guitars are built stronger. You can read here a fine article about the subject https://richterguitar.com/2020/05/28/classical-guitar-vs-acoustic-guitar-whats-the-difference/
+1
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
299 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
TeeGee Supporter
If you post some better pictures of your guitar it might be possible to see what it is 😊
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
I's lot of fun listening to music here and even much more fun adding own music to the wonderful tracks from the community. Therefore I'm supporter!
bleymehl from Germany

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali.