Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
Bitten by a Windows 10 update......AGAIN

Bitten by a Windows 10 update......AGAIN

posted on #1
Riffraff Supporter
I dread Wimdows 10 updates because they sometimes mess with Reaper and shut me down. I put them off as long as possible on the computer I use for my DAW. I've been pretty lucky with the last few. Only one recent one messed me up and I was able to uninstall it and get right back in business. Not this time. I was just working on something this morning too that was going well. Then the update clock ran out and I had to breakdown and do it. I hoped it would be like the last one but it was a big one. I tried to back it out and after about 4 hours I lost patience and thought maybe it's hung up and did the hot reboot. Nope, now I got black screen and have to hope it's running. :@
posted on #2
Riffraff Supporter
Black screen of death finally resolved and updates uninstalled. Rebooting with fingers crossed.
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
Riffraff Supporter
It's running but I think it screwed up my audio drivers. MP3 media I've imported in tracks plays but none of the tracks I added. :@
posted on #4
TeeGee Supporter
Man, that sucks!! :(
posted on #5
Riffraff Supporter
I downloaded the latest version of Reaper this morning and loaded that. Initially I was able to play my tracks and hear my recorded additions too but my cab IR's and favorite plugins were missing so I did a full scan of my plugins. That gave me back the plugins and the original problem, no project additions are playing or even showing on the track meters. I'm down for a while I guess until I figure this out.

I hate fussing with stuff like this and knowing once fixed this will happen again and again as a result of Windows updates I have limited ability to suppress is immensely frustrating.
+1
posted on #6
cmdr_chill Supporter
You have my commiserations. I get infuriated wrangling my computer when I could be making music instead. When Windows 10 came out user control over their computer became history. I side-stepped this by upgrading my DAW computer Windows 7 to 64-bit and taking it off the Internet. The downside is that I can't upgrade my DAW to the latest shiny but the version I use (Cubase 7.5) has enough features to be "good enough" and I can still install new 64-bit plugins which are usually DAW version independent. I don't know if that sort of approach would work for you but it would get you off the Windows 10 treadmill. I hope you can get things working smoothly again in short order and back to your music.
posted on #7
rp3drums Supporter
It would be a good idea to switch to Apple. GB comes pre loaded, is pretty damn good, and has very few issues. I've been running GB on laptop and tablet for years.
posted on #8
Riffraff Supporter
I figured out the problem. Downloading the new version of Reaper fixed it most of the way. All I needed to do to get my volume back on my tracks was sign back in to Two-notes so it could see I'm a registered user then it downloaded my purchased cab IR's. After that I had to go to one of my tracks and delete the IR's and reload them. Once I did that it made the connection and they came back in all of my stuff.

What a relief, now back to my Wikiloops addiction!! :D:Y<3:W
+2
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series
Electric Guitar
159 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
Shi Supporter
hey Riffraff, glad to read you got that problem sorted :) looking forward to hearing new music from you real soon :)
+1
posted on #10
JodyTripp
I have had the same problems with Win 10. Every time they do a big update it would erase my Focusrite interface. I then would have to reinstall the Focusrite and then go into windows audio and make sure the 'recording' and 'play back' was set to Focusrite. I did the same thing with delaying the updates but it's impossible to do that anymore. It bugs me that they delete your stuff.
+1
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
I've had tons of fun on here and met a lot of awesome musicians!
Reaper421 from Canada

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali.