Home » Forum » Musicians forum »
Band "Convolution" looking for Drums, Bass, Cello, Piano,...

Band "Convolution" looking for Drums, Bass, Cello, Piano,...

posted on #1
snuffles
UPDATE: ... and Guitar

Hey there,

the band "Convolution", founded in 2022, is going to release their first EP (four songs, amounting to about 20-30 minutes) in September.
The songs are composed, lyrics are written. I am going to upload some demos during the next weeks.
The EP is going to be released no matter what, the worst case scenario is that it is going to be a lot of synths and samples.
If you want to remedy that and be a part of this project, I am here, waiting for you ;-)
The whole thing will be released under a CC License, there is no commercial interest. However I would like to publish to multiple platforms that are not too evil (that would e.g. include bandcamp, but exclude spotify), so you should feel comfortable with that if you want to join.

That should sum up the key data. Now for the genre:
The initial idea was, to write some pretty classic power ballads but with less annoying lyrics (there are good ones, but there are also many really bad ones, that can kill a lot of the fun you could have with the music).
The existing songs have developed from this idea and I'd say three of them are still pretty close to the concept, but one is more of an old school doom metal song.

I have not completely decided on the instrumentation, but I think Drums and Bass are certainly required as a basis for this kind of music. Piano is probably required as well. I would love to have at least one Cello on board, but if you play an instrument that you are confident can replace or augment that, I am happy to discuss that.

Cheers
Snuffles

P.S.:
This is also a "case study" or "proof of concept" of doing the whole rock music production process with open source software. I use ardour.org as DAW on Ubuntu Studio and I only use open source plugins for the DSP.

P.P.S.:
After the EP, depending on what instruments are available, the music might develop even more towards a heavier sound.
+1
posted on #2
River19
Snuffles, Let me know if you need acoustic drums cut etc. would be happy to take a swing.

Sounds like an interesting project.
+1
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Gitarrensaiten
Saitensatz für E-Gitarre
5,90 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
JoeOnBass
Let me hear what you've got recorded, I'll be happy to try a track or two.
+1
posted on #4
snuffles
Finally uploaded some demos: https://open.audio/channels/convolution/
(They are really demo-ish, but should be enough to give you an idea).
I will update these from time to time to be able to share the progress with fellow musicians.
posted on #5
snuffles
Just a heads up: I've added those of you who confirmed their interest in joining in a private message to the band :)
There's already some great stuff happening, but there's lots of space left for instruments.
Remember, if you play an instrument that I haven't listed yet, don't hesitate to get in touch, because many of the composed midi tracks are drafted with synthies and thus sound quite far from the instruments that they are supposed to imitate. So we might as well scrap the idea I initially had in mind there and add whatever you've got at hand/enjoy playing :)
posted on #6
snuffles
I am also thinking about whether recording piano with "amateur equipment" can make sense or whether I should maybe rent studio time for that or just stick with MIDI. Piano seems to be the exception to home recording working pretty well.
+1
posted on #7
mdn Supporter
It seems that renting studio time would be a really expensive way to go. A good quality digital piano works well IMO and is much easier than mic-ing up an acoustic piano, plus you have to keep it tuned.
+2
posted on #8
wjl Supporter
mdn wrote:
It seems that renting studio time would be a really expensive way to go. A good quality digital piano works well IMO and is much easier than mic-ing up an acoustic piano, plus you have to keep it tuned.

This.

Just opened a new thread in https://www.wikiloops.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=2918 about this topic.

Cheers,
Wolfgang
+2
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
Condenser Clip Microphone for Ovid System
49 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
snuffles
Awesome, really appreciate your perspectives on that. For the scope of this project I'll have to point out, that another restriction is that the software has to be FOSS. As far as I know, that would exclude many commercial piano VSTs. I don't want to spam the other thread with this specific topic, since not everyone might deem this that important, but I would be happy to carry on with the discussion in that direction here :-)
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
wikiloops is great! I already have some toons ready when I get the audio interface.
barrtrek from United States

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali.