Home »Forum»Musicians forum»Licensing question

Licensing question

posted on #1
User Avatar Member
Assuming I wanted to use a melody that is in public domain (written in the 12th century) and a recording of it that is available on wikimedia, under the Creative Commons Generic 2.5 license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/deed.en) which allows:

* to share – to copy, distribute and transmit the work
* to remix – to adapt the work

Under the following conditions:

* attribution – You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

As far as I can see, that would be compatible with the wikiloops license, but I'd like confirmation before I get my account deleted ;)
posted on #2
Fool
Hey shiihs,
the guns don't roar all that quickly on the 'loops, but thanks for asking :)
The short answer is: please don't post such a track to wikiloops :)

Thing is this: Legally speaking, yes, that looks like a case were nobodys rights were broken if you uploaded that track to wikiloops AND took care of the desired attribution - I'd assume you'd attribute in the tracks description, that's what I'd do.
Now someone on wikiloops loves what you did there and creates a remix. Will they attribute anything? Most likely nope, that's not common to do on wikiloops. Maybe someone downloads the track - will the needed attribution be included in the download from wikiloops? Nope, it won't.
So, the problems arise a bit further down the stream, hope you understand what I'm pointing at...

That's why the wikiloops rules stop short of the nitty-grit of licensing and boil it down to: If you didn't compose this, please don't upload it.
Its a very simple rule, everything else is a can of worms that's really hard to keep track of, so, after some years of experience, that's what it comes down to.
posted on #3
User Avatar Member
Ok thanks that 's clear :)
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
will_C from Germany

"Cheerz to the non-commercial site for music-lovers! "

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali .