HD Uploads

posted on #1
mpointon Supporter
Would it be right or fair to suggest that, when a new template is created, the creator could enforce HD uploads? Or perhaps, if an HD upload is attached, further adds have to add them too? There's been so many great jams here which would benefit from a good remix. I don't know how a lot of people record so maybe this suggestion is being massively unfair but I get the idea that the majority could provide the isolated track relatively simply?

Maybe the idea of 'HD' is confusing to some? It can just be their MP3 with the guide track muted. I worry that maybe some get concerned about the 'quality' when, in fact, it's just having the isolated track which is most important. Doesn't have to be super-duper wavs or anything.

I know I'm guilty of not providing them in the past - just part of learning the WikiLoops way! As a rule, I don't add them if the performers before me haven't offered HD downloads.

I'm merely just musing ideas. I certainly don't want to sound all draconian or elitist, just I'd love some of the stems in WikiLoops to have the better mix they deserve and there are many on here who could do that.

Please tell me to go away if I'm talking out of turn.
posted on #2
jstef
I think the “HD” thing is relatively new, so this sounds to me like a good issue to talk about.
About enforcing: the uploader decides who can access the single track, be it everyone, supporting members, selected users... or noone :). What if everyone uploads the single track free-for-all in a jam, but I set restricted access on my bass line? Should we also enforce the access rights to match that of the template? We can talk about it. For the moment I still see it as an option, but we know things here can only improve, thanks to community inputs!
I agree with you about the confusing terms - maybe a different button-friendly text/indicator could be used instead of “HD”. Suggestions anyone?
Perhaps the help section about contributing needs to be updated too.
I am sure our Moderation team has their own thoughts about this issues.
Ciao :)
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
the t.bone Ovid System CC 100
Condenser Clip Microphone for Ovid System
49 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
Lutz
Administrator
Good point: HD need not be WAV - just an mp3 single track is better than nothing.

Remember: one can always go down in the mixing tree and download the original template or the second mix to have these in your DAW as a means to boost that particular part in the end mix.
posted on #4
mpointon Supporter
Lutz wrote:
[i]Good point: HD need not be WAV - just an mp3 single track is better than nothing.

Remember: one can always go down in the mixing tree and download the original template or the second mix to have these in your DAW as a means to boost that particular part in the end mix.[/i]

I agree. I think also part of the issue is syncing the audio files in the DAW. I often have to re-arrange a download to line up with the stated BPM of a template. It does line up but placing it 'bar 1' in a DAW doesn't always work and a little tinkering is needed. And If I have to do this, it means my upload no longer 'lines up' either. :o
posted on #5
OliVBee Supporter
sync has always been a major concern of online collaboration : keeping each successive stems in sync is respecting each musician's effort in their playing and musical personality ... that's a topic i've been trying to adress since i joined wikiloops and i'm very glad to see more and more electronic count in bars at the start of templates :)

there is more behind this idea than just indicating the tempo ... it is very easy for someone adding to a template to include this count in in the solo track and thus for someone who downloads the stem to align properly the track with the count in ... electronic signals are so much easier to handle compared to analog ! (mostly because of transients but let's not get techie) ...

as a side note i shall say i've been on sites before where some people would refuse any addition not using some kind of audio sync in the stem ! integrist behaviour ? well yes and no ... trying to align a stem with no sync can really be a nightmare and a VERY time consuming one as well ;)
posted on #6
TeeGee Supporter
Yes, the sync issue....I can only say that as I got a very slow upload internet connection I don't often provide the HD track, but I offer to send it by email to anyone asking. I don't know what would happen to the server space for wikiloops if EVERY track was to be uploaded also on HD or even mp3, could be a nightmare for Dick...
posted on #7
nilton
Maybe we should have an interface like
[url=https://soundation.com/studio] this [/url]
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
This is such a great idea, helping musicians to make music from anywhere around the world !
Tintin from Canada

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali.