Home » Forum » Open mic at the Blue Iguana »
Peter Green appreciation thread.

Peter Green appreciation thread.

posted on #1
WanHu Supporter
When I was 15, back in the mid seventies, I popped a single on the dancette while I still had five minutes to get ready for the boy scouts. The single was 11 minutes long. I was late for dib dib dib. But by that point, I didn't really care as I'd suddenly become an adult. Oh well was only the start. My only gripe about the man and his four or five years of creative genius in his early twenties was that he spoiled my appreciation of popular music because nothing else touched the sky the way he did. I'm out with friends tonight, so I have to suppress my grief but, by god I'm going to have a good wallow as soon as I'm able. What a tone, what a voice and what a songwriterhttps://youtu.be/lamtA4jDvsI
+2
posted on #2
LittleWing Supporter
Say what you want about pop music today but these girls did a bang up job with Peter Greenes "Oh Well"...Its a sad day for music.Seeing they appreciate Peter Greene has transformed me into a fan.

Of all the songs they could have chosen for such a critical gig in their career...they chose "oh Well" to absolutley stun the audience.

[youtube]VikyxJoBF2k[/youtube]
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Harley Benton G112 Celestion V30
Cabinet for Electric Guitar
169 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #3
TeeGee Supporter
I had the fortune to see Peter Green 3 times, unfortunately never with Fleetwood mac, too young for that. However he was probably my biggest influence as a guitarist once I discovered him. First time I saw him was 1985 with his band Kolors in Ramat Gan, I was a bit disappointed as he was my hero and when I saw him there was not much of him left. The second time was in the Royal Albert Hall in London in 2000 where he played with his band The Splinter Group, on a night that also featured John Mayal's Bluesbreakers. Now at that time he was much better, although his singing was pretty weak. However, there were some good moments here and there. The third time was in 2001 or so in Cologne, where I took my 7-year-old son to see Peter Green - again there were some good moments where he woke up from his dream-like state and played some magic notes. Also to be noted that when I was a young man someone offered me a tab of LSD, and although I got tempted, I never took it, because of what LSD did to my hero Peter Green. It was always on my mind, so in a way Peter Green kept me away from hallucinogenic drugs...R.I.P. Peter Greenbaum, - always to be remembered as one of the greatest blues guitarists ever.
+3
posted on #4
TeeGee Supporter
[youtube]9GPR848mhIs[/youtube]
+3
posted on #5
TeeGee Supporter
When I leave this world, won't be back no more...

[youtube]2k-RwKWzUSk[/youtube]
posted on #6
WanHu Supporter
Hi TeeGee. Remarkably similar experiences; saw him twice in Cardiff when he was like a cardboard cut-out of himself, although his band played Green Manalishi and it was obviously him singing, despite the weak voice, and that nailed me to the floor. But generally, I was paying money to see my all-time guitar hero and, not that I'm any great shakes, but I'm better than he was. Then, a third time, ten years ago, with "Friends", he produced a 3 minute noodle of exquisite beauty that reduced me to a blubbering wreck. Until today, I'd held a vague hope of experiencing that moment again.
Also, as with you, he's the reason I never took acid: I get thoroughly cosmic on weed, so fuck knows what would happen if I went further.
For four years, during the most creative period of popular music history, he was the King. Much drinking and lamentation needs to be done.
+2
posted on #7
TeeGee Supporter
Peter Green unexpectedly appeared in Tel Aviv in 1980 and was persuaded to take part in a jam. There are two tracks that survived, have a listen

https://static.zman.co.il/www/uploads/2020/07/02-%D7%A4%D7%99%D7%98%D7%A8-%D7%92%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%9F-%D7%92%D7%90%D7%9D.mp3?_=2
posted on #8
TeeGee Supporter
And here is the other

https://static.zman.co.il/www/uploads/2020/07/01-%D7%A4%D7%99%D7%98%D7%A8-%D7%92%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%9F-%D7%92%D7%90%D7%9D.mp3?_=1
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd NT1A Bundle
Rode NT1-A Complete Vocal Recording
299 €
iThis widget links to Thomann, our affiliate partner. We may receive a commission when you purchase a product there. Visit Shop
posted on #9
pconey
[youtube]JCEqKVDsa0E[/youtube]

I have all the early stuff, the first 2 records are just straight blues, elmore james styled stuff and just great - but this album from 1969 which was Peter Greens last, was very different, acid soaked progressive blues, great grooves, chilling guitar playing and just wonderful!
+2
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
user profile image
Just a few words about wikiloops..."It's Fun"!
laffingduc from United States

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali.