Home »Forum»Musicians forum»HD avalaible or not?

HD avalaible or not?

posted on #1
User Avatar Supporter
Hello, let me introduce myself. I'm Andrew -Andri-. I live in the Canary Islands, Spain. Arquitect on work and musician here ;)
Recently that I am a member of WikiLoops and am really fascinated of interesting and fun play online with so many good musicians

Yesterday I've seen, thanks to the help of GlezBass, that I can download the individual tracks on the HD tab

My question is... that depends on that HD appears on some remixes and others not?

Sorry for my English and thanks to all. Soon friends! <3
posted on #2
User Avatar Supporter
If you mean why the HD track is not always available. That's
because The musician that uploads the file can choose to upload an HD file or Not have a nice evening:)
music is the language all people understand so lets make music instead of war❤
posted on #3
User Avatar Supporter
Yes..some musicians do and some do not.
posted on #4
User Avatar Supporter
Hi Andri. So far, I'm not able to play "clean" enough to upload my tacks as a separate ones. It might be the case for some other musicians:-) welcome on this outstanding place. KR. Sacha
posted on #5
User Avatar Supporter
The reason for the HD is mainly so that others can then remix your track with previous tracks or a new one. In most cases what's wanted is a track without any effects so that they can then add reverb, delay, equalize or whatever. This (for me) means putting aside an edited but not otherwise manipulated track to have available and then uploading the HD when posting my MP3 add. After doing this for maybe 100 tracks and having nobody bother to use it I've given up as it's a waste of time. However, I play a "fringe" instrument, and not always that well, so that could also be why nobody bothered with my HD tracks. Just giving you some insight about how/why this isn't necessary, and could be a waste of your time. Remixes do happen, but I wouldn't say it's often.
You're only as old as you smell
posted on #6
User Avatar Supporter
Wade wrote:
The reason for the HD is mainly so that others can then remix your track with previous tracks or a new one.

Not necessarily - I almost always take single HD tracks to remix them, and often I had to leave out someone who played good but didn't provide a HD single track in a branch of the complete tree.

Wade wrote:Just giving you some insight about how/why this isn't necessary, and could be a waste of your time. Remixes do happen, but I wouldn't say it's often.

Seems we understand "remix" differently - I try to "optimize" every time (meaning, I remix according to my own taste), and it's not so much the mix-and-match of different branches of the trees or taking parts of entirely other tracks which is a "remix" for me - that's more a definition from Hip-Hop times I guess ;)

The ideal for me would be the complete opposite - having each and every "stem" of (an often multilayered) track, but that also doesn't happen too often, since you have to ask people to provide these outside of the usual uploading ways of Wikiloops (with a maximum of 6 uploads per song). And not everyone likes to send a dozen or so voice tracks which were used for just one remix (but some do, and I'm grateful for that) ;)

Guess I'm more of an engineer / perfectionist / control freak than a musician who simply wants to play. I always like to hear the original idea, and try to support that if possible.

So yes, for me HD single tracks are super helpful, and often an important criterium if I start working on something or not. And if I do, I often spend as much time mixing before even touching my own instrument.

Just my 2 (Euro-) Cents... YMMD as the saying goes ;)

Have a nice 2019, my friends - looking forward to making lots more noises together with you! :)
posted on #7
Administrator
i have been working online with different musicians for a very long time and even longer if you keep the "online" factor out of the way ... there's no shortcut to "properly" mix down a collaboration but having all the stems (read separated takes) in your project.

Of course there are many different ways to collaborate on wikiloops and if you don't expect a shiny polished final mix then HD tracks might not be mandatory !

However i'm the kind to approach wikiloops more on the collaboration side (with potentially a proper mix in mind) than the straight jamming aspect (which is perfectly ok to many) so the HD are important to me and even crucial if i'm going to mix !

Anyway this certainly doesn't mean others can't have fun with my uploads if they don't feel like uploading HD's in their remix ! ;)
Edited by OliVBee on Dicembre 30 2018 15:36
clusters Clusters CLUSTERS !!!!!!
posted on #8
User Avatar Supporter
For me HD tracks have their advantages since it is an available option, summarizing:
- allows the mix of other loopers to your personal taste of digital editing, the art of mixing is something that I am learning in WikiLoops thanks to these tracks of a single instrument. As Wade says the track in "rough" allows edits of your own effects
- in my particular case it serves as a quick file of my own tracks when I have several Gbytes in external HD for old jams searches
- allows, with the author's permission, to use good tracks in other projects, especially very useful drums tracks to make bass lines or practice that are not essentially templates, here we have to thank Martin (mpointon) and Mark (WhiteDrums55) excellent tracks of HD batteries
- in my particular case I give HD permission always to edit solo lines to be edited by a looper in their projects if they are too long and allow a new solo collaboration
- although the WAV format is desirable for HD, in my opinion an mp3 320 Kbps format allows a good sound quality with a great saving of storage space and file management in DAWs, being the difference of the human ear unnoticed sound qualities

Anyway ... I only see advantages in the use of HD tracks

Happy New Year to everyone!!!
:)
posted on #9
User Avatar Supporter
Well, we may have heard from the most active participants here that enjoy mixing, and more power to them!

This topic invites a survey to see how many players here upload other's HD tracks in order to mix. It certainly is a nice gesture for us to all upload HD tracks for (what I presume) are the few that enjoy spending hours mixing tracks. It's also good that the site provides the HD facility for those who are interested. My guess is that the majority just want to play and do what they can to quickly post an adequate mix.

Would be interesting to find out how many here enjoy mixing and are using HD tracks.

I'm happy to start out and say I've never uploaded an HD track and am happiest when a mix comes together as quickly as possible. I'd also be happy to start posting HD tracks again if there was an indication that many would find this useful. However, as said, I've upload lots, and didn't have anyone (that I know of) use them.
You're only as old as you smell
posted on #10
User Avatar Supporter
I agree with Mario--if you can't afford the hard drive space to render out a wav file as a solo HD Track -- then a 320kb 24bit MP3 loaded as an HD Solo Track is pretty good.....The download you get from the standard downloadable track here is 192K--probably 16 bit---which is a noisy creature when you are wanting to have a "High Quality" mix

I've worked with folks that only render at 192k and it is not a "Quality" render of "your" music. It's Easy to change the settings on the mp3 output!
Edited by GemmyF on Dicembre 31 2018 16:26
posted on #11
User Avatar Supporter
Wade wrote:
Would be interesting to find out how many here enjoy mixing and are using HD tracks.

I'm happy to start out and say I've never uploaded an HD track and am happiest when a mix comes together as quickly as possible. I'd also be happy to start posting HD tracks again if there was an indication that many would find this useful. However, as said, I've upload lots, and didn't have anyone (that I know of) use them.

I think your comment regarding the 'fringe instrument' may well ring true to a fair extent. I nearly always provide an HD option, except where previous uploads in the tree haven't - I don't see the point if the entire stem can't be remixed individually. But then drums are, I suppose, a 'base' instrument so demand will always be higher in that sense. I've lost track of the number of people who do templates to just a metronome and lament not having a 'real' timebase to work with. To that end, and looking at my download/remix ratios, I'd guess 60-70% of the downloads of my tracks are presumably used elsewhere for practice, etc., which is fine by me.

With drums, it's harder to decide what to do because we're uploading a mix of a mix - we can't upload, in my case, 7 individual tracks so some level of 'fixed mix' has to be provided and mix priorities decided - for example, how far forward the kick drum is, etc... As a rule, I provide HD mixes with reverb removed and, depending on the track, sometimes the multiband compressors removed as well. Often it's just the mix 'as is' with only EQ applied.

Which leads onto maybe the thing people struggle with the most with the HD option: having their playing 'exposed' for all to hear. It takes a lot of confidence to upload your playing in isolation - all those mistakes and, in my case, dodgy edits we all hate to hear being laid bare for analysis without the rest of the music obfuscating the errors. I totally get those who do not have that confidence.

But I consider, in the case of drums at least, it a useful service to provide HD drums, even if they're not destined to be used on that track. I guess, again, drums sit uniquely because they're not necessarily 'tied' to the track they were performed for and can readily be reused elsewhere.
Edited by mpointon on Dicembre 31 2018 14:01
If you make a mistake, do it again and make it look like you meant to do it!
posted on #12
User Avatar Member
Hi mates :)

When all the tracks of a final remix are available I prefer to work with HD tracks but I found few remixes with all their tracks in HD.

Cheers
posted on #13
Administrator
If you need an HD track, sometimes asking the musicians for it helps - many keep the original files so an generate it quite easily
posted on #14
User Avatar Supporter
I always try to upload a 'bare bass' track. Because when I mix my add most of the time the bass is put deliberately a bit too much forward in the mix. Just because it's my add :@ and I want to have it heard. The singled stem I provide with it is for anyone who wants to make a remix or add something <3 so they can use that.
It usually takes a few clicks to kill FX B) and get the clicks in (if I don't forget them) and render a singled out version maybe a minute.
I think if hard-drive space is an issue you always can delete it afterwards because you just left a copy on-line.:D
posted on #15
User Avatar Member
I can’t tell any difference in quality between .wav and .mp3. The only time I use HD is when the added instrument becomes lost in the mix so I can remix it. So far I only know of two of my HD being used thanks to them sending me notification “Thank You” I like the opportunity to hear what you have done.:D One was used to add my vocals to a existing track #146775 the other for experimenting with his new software sounds cool with the harmony #147208 but this one is also a good example of not getting the tracks to line up. The vocals get out of time with the track the closer you get to the end. Lead in clicks would make this simpler and more effective but all tracks need the same lead in to sync on. (note) I began having HD wav files not wanting to up load so I gave up and now upload Mp3 for remixing.B)
Edited by GBD on Gennaio 21 2019 06:40
posted on #16
User Avatar Member
I prefer to have separate parts avaliable - because it's not always possible to keep the mix balanced if you have to record your part over a mixed MP3. Plus, a compressed file loses some clarity and dynamic, which doesn't help with making a high quality mix.
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
Telemetry from United States

"The place to jam now days is Wikiloops."

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali .