Home »Forum»Recording and mixing»Electric guitarists - Real amp + mic or VST?

Electric guitarists - Real amp + mic or VST?

posted on #1
User Avatar Member
Most of you guitarists post great sounding guitar tracks. I know a lot of it (most of it!) is because you're also great players.
I bought one I liked recently, but now I've found one I like more. Before I bankrupt myself buying one after the other...I was wondering how many of these fantastic sounds are produced with a DI straight into your audio interface and if they are, what amp/cab/effects sims you use?
I'm interested in all sounds from clean to metal. My guitar is passive single coil, a Strat, so I'm particularly interested in those.
Thanks for reading.
posted on #2
User Avatar Member
Hello Zedders,

Not being the most suitable to answer your question, I leave my opinion anyway.

Well in my case I can say that I have good guitars, the best being a Gibson Les Paul Standard, however all the others, Epiphone, Ibanez and Acepro, I changed the pickups and electronics suitable for the sound I was looking for. In other words, at Ibanez I put an active ZW AMG + SA set, at Epiphone I put Seymour Duncan APH-2S Slash Alnico II Pro ZB and at Acepro I installed pickups from a Gibson SG 87, I can say I like them all. As for the amp I have a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 60 and a Joyo Zumbie II, but I don't actually use it for recording, I use Guitar Rig 5, Amplitube 5 and Overloud THU instead. Any one of them has enough effects and tones for any taste. To record I use Mixcraft 9 Studio Pro and a Behringer UMC 404HD interface, although any interface will do, I've had some with one or two inputs, this one I'm using has 4.
In short what i mean is that with good plugins you don't need good guitars.I hope I helped.

Rock on
I do not know nothing about rock n 'roll but I like it
posted on #3
Administrator
Lol the chase after the perfect sound is a quest that will never end :D

I also have an original 1987 US Strat, all pickups are original too. So I use different things, but often a mixture of multieffect and DAW effects. I have posted here some examples, in most cases look to the song description, it says what I have been using.

[wl]204620[/wl] Roland GR55 multieffect straight into the computer - read the song description #204620

[wl]194822[/wl] Microphone on my 5 Watt Pignose, under a pillow because it was late at night #194822

[wl]188916[/wl] 2 Microphones on my Pignose Amp. #188916

[wl]178489[/wl] Microphone in front of 50W Tube Amp #178489

[wl]159443[/wl] Through my pedalboard into the computer #159443

[wl]150001[/wl] through a Pedalboard with TC Flashback delay to get a Gilmour feel #150001
Edited by TeeGee on Dicembre 01 2021 13:02
posted on #4
User Avatar Member
Thanks for the generous and detailed reply TeeGee. I had a 62 Jaguar but no longer have it. That sounded great to my ears even plugged into a sound card with no effects at all. Now have a 2014 American Strat that just sounds cheap and nasty to me... and I think I preferred the shorter scale of the Jaguar... and I was younger and played more. Oh well!
posted on #5
Administrator
The reason I bought the Roland GR55 is that it is a synthesizer, it uses its own Pickup and creates the sounds. That way I can play the Strat but it sounds like a Les Paul for instance. Or a Piano :D or change inot open tuning without having to tune the guitar (for slide). I am quite happy with it, I had to sell a few other pedals and things because that thing is really expensive - but I did find a good used one. Check it out. I believe that I will keep it forever because it has all the effects that you have in a DAW, but also a Wahwah pedal and delay tapper etc.
posted on #6
User Avatar Member
Where I have an old POD that is so noisy I don't use it!

I'll check out your pedal thing. :)
posted on #7
User Avatar Member
The Roland pedal - any regrets? One thing I noticed from a few YouTube videos is a lack of attack on almost all the sounds apart from guitar and some of the guitar sounds were a bit lacking there also. Very interesting piece of kit though.
Have you used it to record midi? Could be fun for a non-keyboardist like myself.
posted on #8
Administrator
I did make a church organ recording on a track I am working on, and a few months ago we had a small jam session and I played around with the flute and some other sounds, was very cool indeed!
wikiloops online jamsessions are brought to you with friendly support by:
slowchops from Germany

"brilliant idea, guys and gals keep on loopoing :)"

wikiloops.com usa i Cookies per fornirti la miglior esperienza di navigazione.
Leggi di più nella nostra nota sulla tutela dei dati personali .